1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calculating final salary

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Sean1888, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Sean1888

Sean1888 New commenter

I’m hoping I can get some help on an issue I’m having at my school. I work in a private school in Qatar, I’m having to leave for personal reasons and have just been given my final settlement which includes absolutely no holiday pay. I am leaving just before half term and will not be paid for a single day past the last day that I am working, not even for the half term break. I will have worked over 50% of the school year by this point, but I will not be paid for the proportion of the academic year that I have worked. Does anyone have any advice on what is common practise in this situation and if there is anything I can do to get any holiday pay from the school? To add to the issue I also do not have a contract despite chasing it since before accepting the position. If this was clear in the contract then I never would have accepted the job. I also know that another teacher who left earlier in the year had her pay calculated based on number of days worked out of the academic year, not based on the calendar year. Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I doubt anyone here will have any answers. I found something that says that you are entitled to annual leave in Qatar if you've been working more than a year, but then only three weeks (which if you work uk-style terms you may have had anyway). I don't know what your contract says about notice, but if you're leaving at short notice, then you may be breaking the contract anyway, and so you may just have to be grateful that they're allowing you to do that. Obviously if you haven't seen the contract then you don't know what it says about either notice or pay, but we can't do any better than you without it.