1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calculating activity

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by claireh1039, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I have planned an exciting week around the theme of wizards and scientists because last week all the children wanted to do was make potions. I have got lots and lots of great ideas and am really looking forward to it! I've got activities to cover lots of areas but unfortunately I have an observation on Tuesday and have to do a calculating activity. I am struggling to think of anything to do with calculating based around potions.

Each day I am going to write the children a letter from a character who is in need of the wizards to make a potion for something. I thought perhaps I could write a letter from a fairy/elf (perhaps even use photoshop to show the fairy in our outside area) with a recipe for some kind of potion that she/he needs making except the children have to double the ingredients (higher ability) or use one more/two more (lower ability). Does this sound too complicated?

I think I'm making this confusing for myself just because I'm being observed. Been thinking about this all day!

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Sure I am missing something really simple!

2. For calculating - could you not right a recipe where the children have to put in ... frogs and .... worms. How many have they put in altogether? Each potion could contain a different number of objects.