1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calculating Activity - Help

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by joleah, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Hi

I am really hoping someone will give me some ideas. I am an NQT and have an interview for a post as a foundation teacher.

I have been asked to plan a teaching activity for 20 minutes with a group of 15 Foundation One pupils based on a calculation activity. Age range 30 - 50 months and 40 - 60 months all working well.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance

2. Hi

I am really hoping someone will give me some ideas. I am an NQT and have an interview for a post as a foundation teacher.

I have been asked to plan a teaching activity for 20 minutes with a group of 15 Foundation One pupils based on a calculation activity. Age range 30 - 50 months and 40 - 60 months all working well.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thank you in advance

3. For FI, with children you don't know, I would focus on activities that support PRSN Calculation 1,2 and 3.
    1 could include number songs and rhymes that allow children to respond to what is happening to the numbers.
    3 could also be addressed through a counting down song, focussing on one less. Counting up songs are fewer and farther between - 'One Man Went to Mow' perhaps, or 'One Elephant Went Out to Play'
    There are lots of activities that you can then do with one more/one less.

4. Try an animated story and even if you don't have it just use puppets to do some probelm solving activity e.g. matching plates/colours/cups to 3 using langauge more/less and this can then be extended for FS2 children. Doesn't have to be a "domestic role play" as such but puppets always engages the children and is very hands on for PSRN!
    Hope that helps!

5. Thanks you for both posts, you have been a great help, I don't want to do something too hard but want to engage the older ones too x

6. Could I ask what animated story would you use? x

7. try topmarks under literacy - early years - songs and rhymes, there are some lovely animated songs like five little monkeys about take away etc.

GOOD LUCK XX