1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calculating a days pay for a teacher

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by DaisysLot, Jan 27, 2011.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

How do you do it ?

(I know.... but just checking others methodology)

2. DaisysLot

How do you do it ?

(I know.... but just checking others methodology)

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

(Salary without oncosts) / 195
    ....... is a full time employee.

4. DaisysLot

Cheers Nomad.... Do you have any reference source for that at all? Only i am a little concerned that our finance dept calculates a days pay by *sigh* dividing the monthly salary by the number of days in said month.... I

have pointed out that this would effectively mean that, if, in reverse, someone took 195 teaching days UNPAID off work, they would effectively still be getting almost half their salary....

5. HR advice to me was that each day was 1/365th.

6. DaisysLot

Sooooo if a teacher in theory takes 195 days off (all teaching days), using that method of calculation they will still be getting paid 170/365 of their salary??

7. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

Our HR/payroll department seem to change their minds!
    When a staff member has a day of unpaid leave (that they have requested) payroll stop 1/195.
    But when staff took part in the NUT strike (about two years ago I think), payroll deducted 1/365

8. It's what striking teachers lost and it's what they lose if they take leave without pay.
    Below is an internet example of a paragraph from a policy from Kirklees (not my LA but similar).

9. I suppose we are paid for a whole year,then 1/365 sounds about right.
    1/195 would imply we are only paid for the days we are in school, which is clearly not the case.