1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cakes that travel well and improve on keeping

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Gardening Leaves, Jun 6, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Just get this final batch of marking over then I'll be sending some cakes.

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

Yes, it is wonderful isn't it, but not mine, I'm afraid! I wish I could take credit but it is a Nigella recipe.

3. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I've now made 2 of these and, as predicted, neither made it out of the house!

Am just making 2 ginger cakes to send. Apparently HMS St Albans was involved in rescuing 13 crew from a sinking tanker in the Gulf last week.

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Oops, sorry. My date and walnut loaf was a bit on the heavy side......

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

(proudly) I helped to build that there ship! Seriously- I did.

6. Just wanted to say thank you for all the ideas on here. My o/h is deployed at present and I'm making and sending a cake every 2 weeks.......he is very popular on post day!

7. Gardening Leaves

Hi Sally! Me too! Our son's just gone off for 9 months again. Birthday cake went with him (rich Dundee, laced with rum and layered with marzipan) and I shall send cakes to coincide with his arrival in various ports. He's popular when they arrive, too! Last time I used to have to send a separate one specially for the Ops Room, other wise they devoured his like vultures before he got to it!

8. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Hoping for a safe return of anybody who has family away. I am not at all religious but it is the closest I get to praying.

9. Gardening Leaves

Indeed, Crowbob. Son's not in any foreseeable danger this time, although accidents can happen, of course. I don't do religion at all so we just hope and are pleased to see him when he gets home. Added advantage this time is that he's left me his convertible for the summer!

This time his ship is on a round-the-world 'jolly' that involves them being the UK representative at the 100th anniversary of the Royal Australian Navy. He's taken his cricket gear as they are planning to replay the Ashes against the Aussie Navy and there will be parties and celebrations galore. That information's in the public domain but I don't know if the other destinations are. Suffice it to say that it all sounds wonderful and I'm very envious!

10. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

I was going to suggest teabreads as they are pretty indestructable in the post!
    It’s my friends recipe I use. She wrote it out by hand and added at the bottom, ‘cake keeps well ...if you don’t eat it !’
    I make a cake every week. Its a chance to have the oven on as my kitchen faces north and is always cold :(. So happy to make a cake and send it.

11. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

You've had so much advice and I hope I'm not giving the same again. A rich fruit cake will keep and keep for a long long time, and it travels well. To keep it for a long time, p r i c k the bottom of the cake regularly with a knitting needle etc and add some alcohol. I made my daughter's cake in February for her wedding in July. The following year we still had the top layer to eat and it was fantastic. Beat that, ha ha PS It is similar to keeping Christmas pudding. It is like good wine: it gets better with keeping.

12. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

Some threads never die. My auntie Hilda in semi rural Lincolnshire got married about 1930 and when we visited in the 1960s she still asked us if we fancied a piece of wedding cake !!

freckle06 likes this.