1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cakes that travel well and improve on keeping

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Gardening Leaves, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

No, though my husband suggests I drop the CO a note to warn him, lest he wonders why on earth his ship is being bombarded with delicious home-made cakes! :)

2. Hi gardening leaves, I said we were all lovely and helpful on here!
    How long does it take for parcels to reach your son and his unit? I'll definitely send a cake.

3. I will send one every couple of weeks or so, if that is ok ?

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I love it when a plan comes together!
    The only problem is which cake to make and send first?!

5. Gardening Leaves

That's my problem! I shall have to make two each time, now and send one to son (+ mates, I know!), as usual and one for 'general consumption'!
    Have checked the regs: packages should weigh no more than 2kg and roughly be no bigger than a shoebox in size. Postage rate is the usual UK Inland Rate.
    Post arrives at the 'Airhead', which is the closest mustering point for mail at any given time, in less than 72 hours. The delay can then be the time it takes for the ship to be able to have the mail collected from the Airhead - sometimes by docking there itself; sometimes by sending a helicopter or boat in for it. The longest that letters/packets take to reach the ship is well under 2 weeks - usually a week to 10 days.

6. anon468

anon468 New commenter

And this is another reason why I love the Cookery forum! [​IMG]
    I've got some time on my hands at the mo, so I'm going to try my hand at one of the cakes kindly suggested and send it on its way.
    Yikes - hope the boys know what they're letting themselves in for! [​IMG]

7. Have I missed where to send the cake, or am I being blind again?
    Can someone tell me where to send it?
    And - are we going to do a rota or all sending at once?
    I am confused (mind you, if I told you that I came home, stone cold sober, took a beer out of the fridge, picked up my cigarettes, went to my computer, turned it on, found my beer just where I put it and then spent 30 minutes searching for my cigarettes, which were actually in front of my nose - and I hadn't even opened the bleddy beer and was still stone cold sober, will you forgive me for being a bit confused and batty?)

8. I am confused (mind you, if I told you that I came home, stone cold sober, took a beer out of the fridge, picked up my cigarettes, went to my computer, turned it on, found my beer just where I put it and then spent 30 minutes searching for my cigarettes, which were actually in front of my nose - and I hadn't even opened the bleddy beer and was still stone cold sober, will you forgive me for being a bit confused and batty?)
    ROFL - story of my life. Don't you just love the challenges that um, late middle age brings?

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

may I just clarify?

when does <u>late</u> middle age start?
    I always thought it was around 70 (that's what my father told me)
    [​IMG]

10. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

That's what I'm like...on a daily basis. Its a wonder I get anything done!

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I'll happily join in once I've finished exam marking, GL. I'm happy to do it as my father was a Lieut-Com in the RN, sadly he died just before Christmas, but I'll make a few of his favourite cakes to send.

12. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I miss baking cakes, but as I am working hard to lose weight (nearly 2.5 stones at the moment) I can't eat any. So, all the pleasure of baking and the knowledge they will be appreciated on board ship. Excellent. Will send one in the next couple of weeks. I'd better make one for Mr RV too, or he'll be miffed....

13. Sooooooooooooooo- where do I send this blinking cake to?

14. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Page 2 Post 20.
    I haven't offered for the moment - we are moving house next Monday. I'll sort one out when we have unpacked and I have got to grips with my new oven.

15. Gardening Leaves

Cdr Tom Sharpe OBE
    HMS St Albans
    BFPO 399

Or you can send it to 'The Patisserie Officer', if you want to be cheeky!

16. Thanks!

17. This may seem like a stupid question, but if I am sending from Germany, do I have to add anything else to the address or will the post office know where the BFPO is?
    I am assuming they will, as we have BFPO addresses here...?

18. And are we going to keep a track on who is sending what?
    Or do you think they won't mind if they get 20 fruit cakes?

19. They won't mind. My son was in the navy and said how welcome cakes from home were whatever they were. Remember there are are over 150 crew - they won't have the chance to get sick of fruit cake!
    Mine is made and cooled. Looking good!

20. Do you think they would mind a Stollen, even though it is German and it isn't Christmas?
    Otherwise I was thinking of date and walnut...