1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cakes that travel well and improve on keeping

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Gardening Leaves, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Directed here from Personal so Hi All and treat me gently!

Looking for recipes for cakes that survive and improve foir not being eaten for a couple of weeks and will put up with being sent through the post! Son in military has just deployed overseas. Regular parcels of home made cake go down well in the wardroom. Already have great recipes for ginger, lemon drizzle and fruit that are popular but would like some alternatives to tickle the tastebuds. Dense loaf-type cakes have survived well in previous experiences. Would love other suggestions!

2. Gardening Leaves

Directed here from Personal so Hi All and treat me gently!

Looking for recipes for cakes that survive and improve foir not being eaten for a couple of weeks and will put up with being sent through the post! Son in military has just deployed overseas. Regular parcels of home made cake go down well in the wardroom. Already have great recipes for ginger, lemon drizzle and fruit that are popular but would like some alternatives to tickle the tastebuds. Dense loaf-type cakes have survived well in previous experiences. Would love other suggestions!

3. ljr

ljr New commenter

I often take an uniced carrot cake or a sticky toffee pudding when we go away in the caravan - they both are very moist & easily last a fortnight without drying out.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'd go for a sticky ginger cake and a date and walnut one. (That's because I can't stand fruit cakes- they'd probably travel best!) What about traybakes or refridgerator type thingies? You could do them in foil trays and they'd be easy to share out.

5. henriette

henriette New commenter

do you have Nigella's books? she does a fabulous clementine cake which is made with ground almonds and pureed cooked clementines: it definitely improves with keeping, is dead easy to make and tastes a dream.

Nigella's Clementine cake 4-5 Clementines
    6 eggs
    225 g sugar
    250g ground almonds
    1 heaped tsp baking powder
    1. Remove knobs from clementines, put in pan of cold water, bring to boil, simmer 2 hrs, allow to cool.
    2. Pulp clems in processor
    3. Beat the eggs, add the dry ingredients and the pulped fruit - mix
    4. Pour into a lined cake tin (10" spring form is what I use)
    5. Bake at gas 5/190 C for 1 hr or so
    6. Allow to cool completely in the tin before unmoulding
    7. Best day after it's made!

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

[​IMG]

Anyway, a dense cake is the best for postierably one that has fruit in to keep it moist. The good old rich fruit cake, traditionally made for weddings and Christmas is the best example and it survives posting, ask Manashee!!
    But anything like shortbread, you could try millionaires shortbread, would travel well.
    Make sure the cake is packed well, clinfilm the cake, you don't know what it may be travelling next to on its journey and try to get a tight fitting tin or card to help keep the shape. BFPO can be quite good at playing rugby with parcels!
    I'll try to find some recipes for you. Hey girls, and guys, maybe we should all make cakes and send out to the regiment?

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

posting, preferably

blooming Tes, I can spell but Tes has a distortion factor!!

8. I have a chocolate cake recipe that I think would fit the bill. I use this Nigella recipe:

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/christmas-cupcakes-2481

but don't use the spice and increase the amount of chocolate to 100g. Then bake it in a cake tin for a bit longer than the cupcakes would take. (I usually then cover it with a genache, then serve it straight from the fridge. It definitely gets better after a few days - and wrapped and posted should be fine for longer. Mind you, you might rather leave it as a spicy warm kind of cake.

Nigella also has a damp lemon and almond cake in Domestic Goddess that she recommends leaving for a few days to improve - let me know if you want me to type the recipe up - it's not on her website. The marzipan fruit cake is a good one too - if you want to go down the fruit cake line...

9. Hi
    I have been lurking on the cookery forum for a while, mostly for inspiration , and to find out what you are all having for dinner !

I am more of an experimental home cook than a baker - I have been planning to get better at baking for a while but
    have been reluctant as I would just eat cake all the time! What I am saying is I think it's a great idea to send cake, just let me know the details of where to send, and I will gladly do so.

10. Gardening Leaves

Wow! Thank you so much for all these suggestions. Help for Heroes indeed!! Yes, I do have Nigella's books so I'll look up the recipes in there. As for BFPO , thgey can bve shockers with parcels, I know. That's why cakes need to be pretty solid and travel well!! I'm replying on the Blackberry at the moment which is not easiest. When I can prise OH off the PC I'll give you my sticky ginger cake + Seville orange and coconut cake recipes. Forces favourites!

11. How far do you need to travel?
    I am a great fan of tray cakes (as it Beth, it is a German thing!)
    You can cut the cake into slices and then send in a parcel - I have done so before.
    A fruit cake is , of course, the very best option.
    Or a tea cake.
    Or ginger cake.
    Walnut and date also travels well.

12. anon468

anon468 New commenter

That's such a nice idea. The only 'cake' I can do is my friend Mel's triple choc brownies, but they are very good.
    I can vouch for both the excellence and postability of lapin's fruit cake. Best fruit cake I've ever tasted. [​IMG]

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Thanks Manashee, I think the important thing is it travels in the post well.

Maybe the OP could find a way of giving us an address to send cakes to?
    Yes, I know BFPO well, having had a father in the RN and married my o/h when he was working at BFBS in Germany.

14. For cakes how about a fruit cake but with a layer of marzipan through the middle like a simnel cake just to make it a bit different.
    Not a cake but the stem ginger cookies from the 'Great British Bake Off' book are fantastic. They are thick and crunch and would travel well. The recipe also makes loads (page says 24 but I get about 40 - dread to think how big they would be if i only split the dough into 24) - I can did aout the recipe for these and post it if people would like.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sadly in my house no cake travels further than into the stomachs of the occupants! And a very quick journey it is too!
    [​IMG]

16. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Date and Walnut loaf or a buttery Cherry Genoa. Both travel well. Good luck!

17. I would gladly post a cake!

18. Gardening Leaves

A few minutes of peace on the PC, for once and I finally get chance to thank you all once again for the wonderful cake recipes. My OH is still drooling and hopes I'll try them out on him before sending them to son.
    The idea of sending cakes off to them is lovely and a very generous idea. Gestures like that do an awful lot to boost morale, says OH. The CO could reward teams that have done a particularly good job.
    Son's ship is off to the Gulf for 6 months or longer. Husband cheekily suggests that cakes should be addressed to: 'The Patisserie Officer', HMS St Albans, BFPO 399. However, the Commanding Officer is Commander Tom Sharpe, OBE.
    Now my recipe in return! This is the best ginger cake recipe I have ever eaten (unless you know better...)
    <u>Sticky Stem Ginger Cake with Lemon Icing</u>
    8oz self raising flour
    1tsp bicarb
    1tbsp ground ginger
    1tsp ground cinnamon
    1tsp ground mixed spice
    4oz butter cut into cubes, plus extra for greasing
    4oz each of dark soft sugar, black treacle and golden syrup
    9fl.oz milk
    3oz drained stem ginger, finely grated
    1 egg

2oz icing sugar sifted
    1tbsp lemon juice
    zest of 1/2 lemon

Heat oven to 180C or 160C fan. Grease and line a loaf tin.
    Sift flour, bicarb and all spices into food processor. Add butter and blitz until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Transfer to heatproof mixing bowl.
    Put sugar, treacle, syrup and milk into a medium saucepan and heat, gently, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Turn up heat and bring mixture to just below boiling point.
    Add the stem ginger to the flour mixture, them pour in the treacle mix, stirring as you go with a wooden spoon. Break in egg and beat until all the mixture is combined and it resembles a thick pancake batter. Pour this into prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely in tin before turning out.
    To make icing, mix together icing sugar and lemon zest then gradually add the lemon juice ifneeded. Cake keeps for up to 2 weeks stored in an air-tight container.

19. henriette

henriette New commenter

Is there a limit to the number of cakes they will accept?????????

There are precious few ways of saying thank you to the boys and girls who risk their lives for us - I imagine they wil be inundated!