1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cake has collapsed in the oven

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Nov 26, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Yes, the lemon juice puzzles me too, try leaving it out, I've a sort of feeling it may be the cause, I've never used lemon juice in an apple cake.

2. Mmmmmmmm! Just the middle sank?
    Could just be too much moisture in the apples/lemon juice, especially if you washed the apples after you peeled them (my sister does that and often gets a drop).
    Honey cake often drops because the honey has too much water in it, you can't tell until you have cooked it. It doesn't affect the taste but hurts your pride!
    I too would drop the temp by another 10 and check with a skewer after an hour.
    Did it taste nice?

3. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I agree about turning the temperature down - 170 in a fan oven and your cakes will also rise more evenly. I've stopped added baking powder to most of my recipes that already use self-raising flour. 1 tbsp seems like an awful lot in this recipe, try 1 teaspoon. When I do use baking powder, I tend to stick to about 1/2 a teaspoon for every 4 ounces of flour.

I recently went though a spate of lots of my cakes collapsing, big cakes and fairy cakes, and I couldn't figure out what was causing it as I've used the same recipes for years. I came to the conclusion that it was my flour - I tend to refill an old homepride box every time I buy flour. I think I'd been "topping it up" quite a lot recently so the flour I was using was really quite old. Used some brand new flour from a fresh pack and problem solved.

I know everyone says that baking is a science and to stick to the amounts in recipes, but keep experimenting until you find the perfect combination. Even if it goes wrong the results usually taste good anyway!

Good luck!

4. It did taste nice thankfully!!
    I'll try it without the lemon juice and just add the apples straight to the cake mix to avoid them browning, add less baking powder and turn the oven down to 170.
    Thanks for the suggestions - will let you know once I've tried it again.

5. According to my Mary Berry cake book if you put a sunken cake upside down on a cooling rack then gravity will help to flatten it. Tried it with a fruit cake and it helped