1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cake for a diabetic

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by angiebabe, Feb 23, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

It is my brother's birthday next week. He is really good about not eating desserts etc and if he wants some he has a tiny slither - bless him.
    Now I don't want to make him a birthday cake per se just something to put a candle in that we can all enjoy as well as him.
    Any suggestions?

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

4. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Thanks guys - I'll have a look at both [​IMG]

5. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Thank you all for your suggestions - ended up being really lazy and just made fresh fruit salad. I put a candle in the small christmas cake my daughter made (and I hadn't got around to eating) so he had something to blow out.
    He is partial to ice-cream so he chose the fruit salad and a dollop of madagascan vanilla ice-cream - but then he tucked into the smallest slither of the chocolate & vanilla cheese cake on offer for everyone else - naughty boy! He completely side-tracked the no added sugar jelly I had also put on the table!
    Please don't think that I don't appreciate all your efforts to reply to me - I am very grateful and could well use your ideas in the future.[​IMG]

6. Too late for the cake, but just to say my daughter aged 25 has been diabetic since she was 4 and we were always told to avoid so called 'diabetic' stuff like chocolate but to have a small portion of the real stuff. You can balance the food intake with the insulin injections and one special day won't go amiss. Lots of sugar in fresh fruit salad unfortunately. But a sliver of cheesecake will make little difference in the grand scheme of things!