1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cairo

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ShriekofAraby, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Just got a job offer to work at an English School in Cairo. What's it like working there these days? I've heard it's big enough that you can find something to do no matter what you like to do. True? Any personal messages/info will be hugely appreciated.

2. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

I have an offer from an american school there. I'd also like info about the area, safety etc. I have a wife and kids so would living in Maadi be appropriate for them?

3. I've left now but found Maadi ideal. I stayed in Heliopolis for a bit, but it wasn't for me and I was much happier in Maadi. Basically because it was a much more expat area, in Heliopolis I found I just got too much unwanted attention. It depends what you want, Maadi isn't for everyone.

Safety was never really an issue when I was there, although from what I've heard crime has been on the increase recently, and unfortunately foreigners are sometimes targeted, bag snatching etc.

I would say that Cairo can be incredibly frustrating and when I first arrived there I wasn't at all sure about it, but after a few months I really started enjoying it. Egypt has loads to offer and it's still relatively cheap.

Lots depends on the school you're at too, you'll have to consider travel times. It can take along time to get across Cairo.

4. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

Speaking of cheap, what sort of salary should I be looking at?

5. Not really sure about salaries in the American schools. The good British schools have scales that are pretty similar to UK scales. Plus you should expect some sort of housing allowance, annual flights and health cover, although in my school we had to pay half towards ours if we wanted international cover, which I'd recommend. Many landlords were asking 6000le/$1000 a month for a decent place when I was having a look around a couple of years ago. Not sure if it's gone down over the last year.

6. How come you don't know if you have accepted the job?
    If you are working at Clements Ankle Cleaners you will have a great package. They pay well and look after their staff.
    It has a very American community feel about it and you'll get high fived to absolute boggery.

7. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

I haven't accepted the job, I said I was offered one. And I know what salary they have offered, what I was asking was what would be a reasonable salary for the area.

8. If it is at the school I 'mentioned', more than enough.

9. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I'm suspecting it must be one of the "other" American schools. Are any of those any good?

10. I knew people at the international one out in the 5th settlement, the package wasn't as good, but it was still a reasonable place to work. I seem to remember they opened another school which did seem to have a few problems, from what I remember these related to things just not being ready (no internet, computers not networked etc.) some teachers were finding this unbearable, another I met just got on with it and wasn't bothered by it all. I'd have thought things would have improved there by now though.

11. All a matter of opinion but not a chance. One of them, old and established is utter rubbish. Their 'new' version, up at our end seems to be doing better.
    I am judging this purely by the way their children behave when we have fixtures.
    The big one in Maadi is outstanding - the others are a long way behind.

12. I always used to get quite jealous of the American Maadi teachers, I'd see them walking to work as I was heading off to the Ring Road with all the fun and games it could bring. The Maadi site always had a nice feel to it. Have they finished the rebuilding yet?

13. They have. And lost half a track, football pitch and all tennis courts, replaced by a huge three or four story block of classes.
    Makes you want to cry.

14. There's hardly enough space left to lob a spear.

15. I'd be worried if Miklos Nemeth was limbering up, but lovely.lady, I'm sure, could chuck a few and not endanger the wierd kids in her classroom...
    [​IMG]