1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cairo

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by bigfatgit, Feb 2, 2011.

1. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Internet has just come back on
    We're all safe
    Tanks and armoured cars everywhere
    Some have fled the country but no real problems apart from the ace club might run out of beer
    Doing this from my mobile and I've had a few

2. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Very good news BigFatGit, hang in there and keep us posted.
    Is the PseudoPsovereign also safe and in good spirits and enjoying 'a few'?

3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

He lives the other side of cairo but is fine. There were a few escaped prisoners in his area that his neighbors shot at and when they fled, the bedouins shot them up as well.

Troops on the street are being very friendly and posing for photos etc

Lots of ex pat parties. But some of the hosts are complaining that looters who do less damage to their bars than us!!

4. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Yep - net came back about 40 mins ago - however have been told all mobile phones being blocked at 3pm for duration of curfew.
    My internet is a USB modem so not sure if that will be affected.
    Have heard the ATMs are going to get cash again today - we haven't been able to get cash, phone card credit or anything. I am fortunate in having my UK mobile and a landline here. My family have been calling twice a day and a friend topped up my UK mobile so I could afford to send a text!
    Texts between Egyptian phones are NOT being delivered (except the occasional government one) though they are happily deducting the credit for sending them.

5. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

So happy to hear that you and the others are well.

6. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

ACE Club run out of beer!!!!! That's worth taking to Midan Tahrir about......or is it just going to run out of Sakkara leaving you all only Stella and Heineken to choose from. Been hearing from Sheesha, so good to hear all are fine
    Toks

7. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Looks like it's kicking off downtown. Peole on horses (not military) charging the crowd. Riders are being dragged off the horses and beaten.
    Rent a mob are now on the streets

8. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I watching it on TV now. I can see things turning ugly very quickly. I suspect the Muslim Brotherhood will hold on for as long as possible, whilst more ordinary demonstrators will have gone home. This will lead to the MB have running street battles with proMubarak. I expect the proMubarak to largely come out on top.
    I suspect the Spitfire Club in Alex has been a hard place to get to recently, but I expect some resilient souls will have made it. The Portguese Club will be full each night, I reckon. I know some long term Brits in Egypt don't have a home to go to in the UK and will stay on drinking the bars dry. But if things continue to deteriorate I recommend those with a UK base jumping on the FCO planes that will be sent at the weekend.
    Good luck!

9. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

The flights aren't free and they aren't cheap either!
    Lots of people doing runners for no other reason than having a holiday (and being very vocal about having a holiday)

It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get back when it's sorted. Same people are always late after holidays / have to leave early for holidays

10. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Not at the moment, becaue the FCO hasn't called for an evacuation. If things get worse they will and Brits will be taken out for free. On the other hand, the Foreign Secretary is more of a Stupid Twt that Jack Straw (who was a twt), who was the FS when I got evactuated from somewhere years ago.

11. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

looking a little uglier now, hopefully, the two factions will either be contained in some way or will run out of steam to an extent fairly rapidly. Look after yourselves

12. A lot quieter in Maadi tonight than it has been for nearly a week, I'm not getting disturbed by machine-guns shooting the sky. A couple of days ago a tank decided to fire warning bursts into the air when the local vigilantes expected it to stop for their row of stones across the road - bluddy deafening row.
    Mobiles stayed on all day and I managed to find vodafone credit at an electricians shop in road 9 (for a small mark-up).
    Some of the ATMs have been 'reloaded' though I always seem to arrive too late to withdraw.
    I'm intending to stay though more and more teachers are doing a 'Gamal' and flying to London - can't say I blame them really because this waiting is terribly boring.
    Once this settles down, I would still recommend this city as a workplace because generally the people have so far been relatively civilised. I know there has been deaths and injuries but I reckon that if this were another country having demonstrations this large, the casualty rate would be much greater (I hope I don't have to eat my words).
    For all of those who have left - don't forget to return.
    For all of those who are still left - good luck to you.
    Cheers,

Robby

13. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

I've never posted on the Egypt threads before. Good luck and keep well. The worst I can say here , In Melbourne is it's phenomenally pissing down; possibly as some adjunct to Yasi. I've put a suaucepan under a leak, so you know it's serious.

Whoops, crash of thunder, no doubt in judgment at my levity.

I'll get my coat.

14. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Have had a couple of calls today advising foreigners to keep their heads down in the 6O area.
    Not sure if it's based on actual incidents or 'vibes'
    People are getting fed up with the disruption now and want to return to normal life.
    I was out in 6O yesterday and felt fine so really not sure. Don't specially want to find out though!
    Safe where I am for now and able to go to local shop and walk about ok.

15. Agree Robbie - this would be far worse elsewhere, ie, loads of guns and deaths....and hopefully will stay so.
    Ned, fatgit and me talk regularly. I say fatgit as beer running low in the ACE means he is just a 'fatgit' now and not a 'BFG'...ha ha, I lie, the man is still something that climbers would like a 'go at'.
    Mary - I heard that some ex-pats (not sure from where...) got a bit of treatment from the police for breaking curfew (blindfolded, slapped with canes or something), but not sure where. Think they were coming from downtown.
    I travelled around the O6 area today and hassle was zero.
    In fact, a very nice day out. Few gins, beers, glass of Grand Marquis red...
    And an England win over the little brothers...

16. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

Yes I think there was an incident in Maadi which went round the gossip in 14 different ways this is why I am reluctant to pass on stuff. However my source for the 6O info was someone I respect a lot who has lived here for very many years. LIke I said though, no idea if she was basing it on a reported incident in 6O or vibes.
    And also, have to be wary of going on people's 'feelings'. I normally travel around on the public buses and microbuses and never get any hassle or stares - except from village women! (and as you know FB - I don't look remotely like a local!) but others seem to say they get hassled every time they go anywhere.
    Think I'll stay in my neighbourhood for another few days and keep my head down!

17. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

PS was also told mile long queues at the petrol stations in 6O - a friend had to drive all the way to Mohandseen to get any.
    Yesterday, they certainly hadn't topped up the ATMs down University St!
    I do want to get my landline phone bill paid somehow though as it was a lifeline for me last week with family able to call twice a day watching all the tv b***s***t and worrying themselves sick.

18. Alphaalpha

Alphaalpha New commenter

All quiet in our neck of the woods. Any news about Drinkies or Cheers??

19. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Very quiet today. Most of the vigilante roadblocks have gone so went for a drive. Counted 60 tanks and armoured cars outside Sadat monument - more on the other side of the road

Ace club had a delivery of beer but is out of vodka

The big question is, "how many of his golf clubs will Pedro get back from the 'neighbourhood watch'?"

20. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

So my school will be restarting a week tomorrow

What about the other Cairo schools?