1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cairo summer 2020

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Singland, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Singland

Singland New commenter

Hello all, I have signed a contract for August in Cairo. Just wondering how things are there, how it might be by August. It seems like a good school, I will have 2 of my children with me, so hoping my instincts are right! I've been reading all the amusing / terrifying posts since I was offered the job a few months ago and decided to reach out. Currently isolating in UK, can't really get on with preparations to move except chatting online.

2. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Nobody can predict August yet, but currently we have a night curfew, because you know the virus is only active at night :rolleyes: No social distancing whatsoever during the day and iftar tables full, as the curfew doesn't start until 9pm. Malls are back open on weekends, after a previous lockdown. The government is discussing plans to reopen domestic tourism and possibly schools after Ramadan. So, the next 2 to 3 weeks will be interesting. Nevertheless, our case count is low compared to many other countries. I reckon lack of testing and resources, but then again Egypt was praised numerous times by the WHO. Nobody really knows anymore what to believe...

3. mermy

Oh, forgot - airports still closed, so at the moment apart from some repatriating flights nobody can come in or get out. But then again, August is so far away, anything can happen. I don't think the airports will stay shut here for much longer (Egyptneeds the tourism), the problem is people getting in as their countries airports are closed.

4. claytie

claytie New commenter

I am assuming my contract is null and void. The lack of communication for two months has prompted me to sort something else out.

5. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

Are you able to provide any hints about which school this was?

6. Singland

Singland New commenter

I last heard from my school in early April, but they are closed at present, so not given up hope yet! Probably I should have a backup plan too.

7. claytie

claytie New commenter

Hmmmm. Supposedly the best of the bunch.

8. claytie

claytie New commenter

I definitely would.

9. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

The American school?

yasf likes this.
  10. Singland

Singland New commenter

Any info on the sparkling water, rolling hills school? (To be hopefully subtle)

11. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Singland, I know a couple of people there and they haven't said anything that might hint at a COVID-19 problem. The school itself, though....

12. Singland

Singland New commenter

Yeeeees....?

13. DonaldSanger

DonaldSanger New commenter

Hi, Singland. I work in Cairo if you'd like to PM me.

14. Singland

Singland New commenter

Hi, thank you I would love to hear more about Cairo. Sorry I still can't send private messages yet.

15. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Current situation

Schools have come to the end of the school year with the last term being online - no students allowed on campus

Airports currently closed by meant to be opening for international travel on July 1st but only for certain countries

Curfew has been changed 8pm to 4am and all malls still closed at weekends. Restaurants and bars remain closed but will do deliveries

Face masks are compulsory in public but widely flaunted, plus social distancing was never a thing in Egypt before the COVID 19 never mind now

Cinemas starting to look at drive-in type showings

Hotels are allowed to open but at 25% capacity and strict rules (temp checks etc)

16. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

The McVitie factory?
    Did you give up in the end and look for something else, or are you still planning on going?

17. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Stoppers - It was Shisha Ben's school that claimed to be the best of the bunch (that was after he jumped ship to McVitie and then to UK)

18. mermy

Malls are open weekends again, did you not see? And agree on the facemasks and social distancing. The few times I ventured out I couldn't believe the shambolic sights. You see extremes from people wearing masks in their own car by themselves to huge groups gathering with no care in sight.

I suppose, that's why we have not even reached the peak here yet... :rolleyes:

19. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I can't even imagine Egyptians understanding the concept of social distancing - it's just not in their nature. I suspect there are a lot more cases than reported in places like the City of the Dead and in Garbage City.

20. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

Avoid, avoid, avoid. Not a good place. Back up plan required.