1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cairo situation

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Barkham1, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

..... and then double your money by making this device .....

mermy and normannobody2018 like this.
  2. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

There's a few versions of this doing the rounds, but I like this one:

mermy likes this.
  3. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

Ha ha @normannobody2018 and @Luvsskiing , it was even the good stuff! Definitely on par with Sainsbury's finest.
    Could replace the cash I lost, now that I won't be doing any exam marking anymore... If only there was a way to get it all over.

normannobody2018 likes this.
  4. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Otlob will be doing well then bfg? Ace club still open weekdays till 5 pm?

5. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Otlob etc only outside curfew hours
    ACE is closed until further notice - damn glad I drank all the Guinness and Magners last week

6. Barkham1

Barkham1 New commenter

Is it realistic to think new contracts will be on hold til January now? Was supposed to be coming out in August but I can’t see that happening at all. Are private schools in Egypt likely to take a big hit financially and not be able to afford new staff in August???

b7031475 likes this.
  7. bigfatgit

No idea about contracts being held over until January
    I think a more likely scenario could be:
    Teacher A leaving Cairo to (say) China and teacher B coming to Cairo to replace them
    Teacher A is stuck in Cairo due of the situation and, because they've been a good teacher, school keeps them on - sorry teacher B but post no longer exists. Knock on effect a bit like a house selling chain in England

A lot of the international schools have students who are here because of their parents' jobs (oil, gas, banking) and one of the perks is free education for the children. I can see some schools taking a hit with some leaving but I doubt it will be to the same extent as the revolution where a certain American college lost almost 50% of the roll

We currently are full and are operating a waiting list

T0nyGT likes this.
  8. Barkham1

Barkham1 New commenter

Good to know. I suppose I just have to hang on. Heard nothing from the school....I expect it depends how severe the situation gets in Cairo and for how long. I will be the only GCSE teacher in my subject so there is not a person to replace because of school expansion so perhaps I should take heart in this?

9. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

'damn glad I drank all the Guinness and Magners last week' - Good job! No doubt there was some Stella and Sakarra for the less discerning?

10. bigfatgit

There was but because we had to cancel the St Paddy's party, we decided to use the good stuff at a wake for one of the members that passed away (nothing to do with current situation)
    It got very "emotional" (as in "tired and emotional") what with having to get all the toasts in before the curfew

11. pdilmaghani

pdilmaghani New commenter

How long have you worked in Ciaro BFG? I have a job offer from British school Madinaty, which under regular cirumstances id be really happy with. My job offer is for a september start. Do you know of this school? What is the likelyhood they can honour the salary offered at this moment? What are the main things il have to get used to over in Ciaro etc?

b7031475 likes this.
  12. yasf

yasf Established commenter

There's a few of us that have it down in our sweepstake as the 2001/2002 academic year. :)

13. bigfatgit

Never been to Ciaro
    Is it near Landan?
    Send me a conversation thingy

Yasf, looks like you win the sweepstake, although I first came here in 1992

yasf likes this.
  14. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

Same school same offer! I'd be happy to chat with you as I feel the same! I've sent u a conversation!

15. bigfatgit

A new review of that school was posted on *** yesterday

I posted that already but it didn't show - am I being moderated?

16. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

I am wondering if there's any other school in Egypt that has more positive comments in ***!

17. bigfatgit

You've just opened the "*** is full of discontented teacher comments" debate again
    ;);)
    Can't name schools on here or the thread will be deleted - beat you to it, Hippo

18. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

I am sorry! I forgot about the debate!