1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cairo situation

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Barkham1, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Barkham1

Barkham1 New commenter

Can anyone tell me what's going on in Cairo? What would happen if you are supposed to start in August? Would you be paid if you are still in UK and a travel ban was still on? I can't seem to find anything out about what is happening there at present.

2. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Established commenter

It all depends on a number of different things but a couple of important things to remember (i) your contract isn't worth the paper that's it written on and (ii) a head of school will tell you that everything is OK and will then withdraw their employment offer at a later stage because it suits the school to do so.

My advice is to do whatever is best for yourself.

3. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

@Barkham1 unfortunately this is not just a Cairo situation.

With the world economy tanking, you and everyone else starting a new contract in all corners of the world will need to have contingency plans that may, emphasis on may include...

1) No pay for the months of August and September.
    2) No pay for the months of August to December.
    3) No job.

As Jason_Bourne_ rightly stated... Schools will ALWAYS tell you everything will be alright. Start planning.

kel_walker1984 and towncryer like this.
  4. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

All schools and universities closed until 31st March; Government has not announced any extension of that - yet
    Some schools have already extended that to include the Spring break / Easter / Sham el Nassim holidays so that would be mid April
    All restaurants, cafes, bars must close between 7pm and 6am. Between those hours only food stores and pharmacies are allowed to open
    Streets are quieter but not empty and lots of face masks on show

5. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

I am in the same situation, I have received the job offer but not the contract! I didn’t hand my notice in England yet! I feel I am stuck as I don’t know what to do. I think I have no choices, I’ve got to wait as the deadline for the notice is 31st March! Nothing we can do.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Keep safe, bigfatgit! This forum would not be the same without you.

Mainwaring likes this.
  7. bigfatgit

I'll keep you updated on my blog falafelsinKattameya and I promise not to try to sell you any property :):)

towncryer, stopwatch and mermy like this.
  8. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

@bigfatgit, you forgot to mention how sunny and warm it is at the moment! Perfect weather for online teaching in the garden.
    Love the falafelsinkattameya, you might be on to something!

9. Barkham1

Barkham1 New commenter

Anyone got an idea on where I stand with a contact due to start in August ; signed contract but holding back on attestations. Do you think I will be salaried in August even if I can't get to Cairo....worried about finances in a rented property in UK!

10. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

99.999999% you won't get paid. Signed, stenciled or stamped, your contract is invalid.

Why? You don't exist in the country. You are not a resident of Egypt. You don't have an employment visa from Egypt.

The school is under no legal obligations to pay any teacher who has not set foot in the school carpark.

Contingency plans are needed for teachers like you. I've got a colleague heading to Egypt next year and is saving hard to get sidelined for a full year.

towncryer likes this.
  11. the hippo

bigfatgit, only a cruel and nasty person would make fun of a gentle and sweet-natured hippopotamus. I am very upset by your unkind teasing.

12. bigfatgit

Apologies Hippo - I thought you had thicker skin :):)

13. bigfatgit

Oh, and yes, it's another sunny day - perfect for sitting in my office drinking coffee

14. b7031475

b7031475 New commenter

I’d love to join your blog! How can I find it?

15. bigfatgit

It was a joke at the Hippo's expense
    He has a great blog bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com

b7031475 likes this.
  16. the hippo

Well, bigfatgit, it makes a change when someone else gives my blog a plug! Thank you so much, old chap.

b7031475 likes this.
  17. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

Of course he does.

I shoot the hippopotamus
    With bullets made of platinum
    Because if I use leaden ones
    His skin is sure to flatten 'em.

18. bigfatgit

Latest from Cairo
    Starting today, there will be a curfew in place from tonight - 7pm to 6am
    This means "all means of transportation, private and public, will no longer be tolerated after 7pm"
    "The government has also ordered the closing of mass gatherings such as shopping malls, restaurants and cafes during the weekend, limiting their operations to only the weekdays and until 5pm
    Food delivery services are expected to continue
    Schools and universities are to remain closed until mid-April"

19. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

To add to this:
    There was no chicken or bread at Oscar's but there was toilet paper!
    And the sun is shining! :D

20. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

You could make a small fortune selling the toilet paper to the UK.

towncryer and mermy like this.