1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cairo.... advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by SineField, Jan 28, 2018.

1. SineField

SineField New commenter

Afternoon all

Its looking likely that I am destined for Egypt for next year (its my first international position)...

I would hugely appreciate any words of wisdom from any veterans on teaching and living in Cairo

Cheers!

agcb256 likes this.
  2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Well, congratulations firstly!

Cairo is, well, an interesting place to live. We spent 2 years there, and as it was also our first time teaching internationally it gave us a good experience of what to expect and to learn a bit about the courses. Our school was in New Cairo, not too far from the airport and just off the main Suez Road.

The main places for teachers to live are usually either Al Rehab or Maadi. We were in Rehab at first, but after a few months moved to an apartment not far from the school (mainly because it had a swimming pool, TBH!) Rehab is kind of boring and uneventful. Single teachers tended to live in Maadi, because there's more going on there - it's where the clubs and bars are, although it can take an hour or more in the Cairo traffic to get there.

Anything else you want to ask, just go right ahead...!

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Like amysdad, Mrs Hippopotamus and I lived for two years in the Land of the Nile, in the place for ex-alcoholics. Yes, we had the notorious Mr Black as our principal. That was a long time ago, but a friend of mine is now at Madinaty. He likes it there and his little doggie has come out from the UK to join him.

Yes, the OP can send me one of those silly TES Conversation things. Reading my blog, www.bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com, will not really help you because it is about Bulgaria and China.

4. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

i'm currently working in Cairo, it is certainly an interesting place which grows on you as time passes. it's not for everyone because of the huge difference in culture and language, however, cost of living is cheap, although inflation is around 30%. Make sure that you get paid in sterling and that only a small percentage of your salary is paid in local currency. Also make sure that you will be given an employment visa, I know of one school in the 6th october area who provides their teachers with only visit visas and are essentially working illegally - they get round this by paying sterling directly to a UK bank account...

5. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

@Jason_Bourne_ - this happened to us too last year. What was happening was that the government was restricting the number of employment visas it issued, so every time we left Egypt we had to get a new tourist visa which the school refunded. It was actually costing the school more overall than if they'd just issued the visas. In about May the school was allocated 10 visas in total.

6. JAFF23

JAFF23 Occasional commenter

Yes, make sure you get a working visa. A friend was nearly arrested recently for not having a work permit and only having a tourist visa. I would say there are better places to go having experienced Cairo. It is still hard to transfer money back to the UK. I never succeeded in 4 months!!

7. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Send me a message / conversation thingy

topgirl1 you've obviously got a bad bank - i have money transfers every month with no problem

8. SineField

SineField New commenter

Cheers all.... I do have a few more Cairo queries that I'll put together.

9. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

Hey BFG good to see you are still thriving.

Ace club anyone?

10. jacks_wasted_life

jacks_wasted_life New commenter

Sorry to hijack the thread but I was wondering if anyone would be willing to PM me with current info regarding the school in New Cairo which teaches PYP/DP? The reviews on ISR aren't particularly glowing.

hplovegame48 likes this.
  11. bigfatgit

There are several in New Cairo that fit that description

PM me if you want

12. jacks_wasted_life

jacks_wasted_life New commenter

PM sent. Many thanks, BFG.

13. Shiny18

Shiny18 New commenter

Hi, Hope you don’t mind me just getting in on this conversation. Just seems like you know Cairo well. Can I ask how long you’ve been there and how is in term of making friend and having a nice social life. I’m worried as I’m planning on moving on my own. Is it a lot of families that move there? Really appreciate any info. I’m new on this and I don’t even know how I can send private messages.

14. bigfatgit

Lots of single teachers of all ages in Cairo
    Someone in your school will very quickly introduce you to the ACE Club or the BCA which are expat clubs with good social activities (also the cheapest beer in town!)
    If you are into sport then there's the Rugby Club, softball league, cycling club, pool leagues etc

15. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

If it's pyp, gcse and ib dp then I know the school... Feel free to pm me...

16. jamieandphie

jamieandphie New commenter

for the life of me I cant see how to send a message.... I'm also looking for info on a school / living in Cairo, married with a little girl if that makes a difference. Any help appreciated :)

17. bigfatgit

18. cg4321719

cg4321719 New commenter

I’ve been in Cairo for about 5 months. The driving is crazy, garbage everywhere and it takes awhile to figure out the currency and the value of your money. For example, when I first moved here, 100 pounds seemed so cheap - now not so much. The weather is great but cold because of the lack of heating during the winter. Egyptians , generally speaking are great. Regarding teaching, the students are loud, talkative and a little hard to handle.
    Hope that is helpful,

agcb256 and Helen-Back like this.
  19. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Yes, cg4321719, it sounds as though not much has changed. But do they still sell those amazingly yummy felafels on the street, just round the corner from the jellymould in Heliopolis?

Helen-Back likes this.
  20. cg4321719

cg4321719 New commenter

I live in The 6 th of October... the land of malls!

agcb256 likes this.