1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CAD Software

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by kyber, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Seeking a little advice on what CAD software you are all using at present. Still using Prodesktop in my current school and looking to get either solid works or pro-engineer. Anyone got any advice?
    Also looking at upgrading techsoft 2d to the V2?

2. Seeking a little advice on what CAD software you are all using at present. Still using Prodesktop in my current school and looking to get either solid works or pro-engineer. Anyone got any advice?
    Also looking at upgrading techsoft 2d to the V2?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

V2 is good. Especially for tracing images. x

4. Well here we go again.....
    To cut a very long story short 2D V2 is definitly worth getting.
    My prefered choice is Solid works, but some prefer Pro E which by the way is changing its name shortly to CreoPro, and some people are beginning to go with Space Claim. The two i realy would not touch with a very very large barge pole is either Inventor or Solid edge.

5. I have been using Google Sketchup, for lots of reasons. Its free!!!! pupils from yr 7-13 can use it, you can pick it up with minimum input, does not take much learning and is intuitive.....give it a go, lots of on-line forums and tutorials, I have also down loaded a plug in which converts the 3d drawings so they can be manufactured with CNC equipment

6. Hutch53

Hutch53 New commenter

Message to Chewster:

Could you enlighten me more on the plugin you mention?

Cheers

Hutch

7. Autodesk Inventor every time, the pupils in my school find it really easy to use, very intuitive. Excellent for KS3 & KS4 can be utilised in engineering as well as product design. Excellent package & infinitely editable (unlike Prodesktop)
    Not a massive fan of solid works or solid edge. Pro engineer (Creo elements) too difficult for KS3 & possibly KS4.
    hope this helps.

8. timbdesign

timbdesign New commenter

PTC Pro|ENGINEER was the first 3D parametric modeller and has been completely overhauled with easy to access Windows 7 menus, streamlined workflow and lots of new features.

The most exciting new tool for schools is Freestyle. For the first time the organic shapes product designers love are really easy to create and edit. Freestyle features exist in the same model as traditional geometric features. The best of both worlds are in one file format and everything remains editable.

The new name for PTC's industry leading 3D modeller is Creo and the logical replacement for PTC Pro|DESKTOP.

Network and home use licenses of PTC Creo are FREE to schools and students including extensive learning resources. More information here: www.ptcschools.com