1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CAD & Other DT Software

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by Tonedog, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Tonedog

Tonedog New commenter

Good morning! What software do people recommend for CAD etc. I'm hoping to only include free software so that the students can download them at home but could potentially spend money on the right product.
    I'm particularly interested if anybody has experience with multiple programs and can recommend one over others.
    I'm looking for the following in particular (but also open to any "must have" suggestions?):
    • 2D CAD (Currently 2D Design, Looking at Inkscape)
    • 3D CAD (Currently SketchUp/SolidWorks, Looking at Fusion 360)
    • Electronics Sim/Circuit Design (Currently N/A, Looking at any viable program to use in a PG Online unit based on Circuit Wizard)
    Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

2. sparks

sparks New commenter

OnShape will do 3D CAD for you quite nicely, and is very similar to solidworks. It will generate 2D drawings. Orthographic views dimension well, Isometric not so well as you need to apply a 'hack' to get the dimensions correct.

2D Design as you mention is quite common and more user-friendly for younger students though.

Can't help with electronics as we no longer deliver it, but have used croc clips in the past (is this still going??)