1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CAD in KS2

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by banger n mash, Sep 19, 2017.

1. banger n mash

banger n mash New commenter

Hi,
    I'm suddenly DT coordinator (how do these things happen...?!) and feeling a little in over my head in certain aspects. Mainly wondering how people are using CAD in their planning? Any great software recommendations? I really want to go beyond designing a marketing poster but equally do not have a massive budget.
    Thanks in advance!

2. mmjkaejec

mmjkaejec New commenter

have a look at sketchup free download

3. cosybear

cosybear New commenter

4. banger n mash

banger n mash New commenter

Brilliant, thank you so much!

5. PhilWickins

PhilWickins New commenter

There is so little on CAD in KS2!

I'm running a CPD course on using CAD in the DT process for KS2.

Book in if you're near Southampton!

Stiltskin likes this.
  6. PhilWickins

PhilWickins New commenter

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

See if you can get your head to allow you to buy a 3D Printer as well. That one is very easy to set up and manage, and easy to run. It makes DT lessons and CAD more purposeful and for the teachers there is a whole host of resources you can print out to use in lessons - thingiverse is a good place to start. These work particularly well for historical artifacts or things like dinosaur skulls.

banger n mash likes this.
  8. vittychurchman

vittychurchman New commenter

I run a DT department in a special needs school after teaching in mainstream for 12 years. CAD just means computer aided design so in context it means that you use computers to aid with your designing. When working with special needs I have found that keeping it simple and repetitive works well. Often I will use Power point with its picture filling function to create simple shape designs. I use Techsoft 2D design continually as this allows my students to progress onto 3D drawing and using the laser cutter (KS3 & 4). A programme I love to use when teaching about structures (and allows for all levels of ability) is Westpoint bridge designer, which can be downloaded for free on the internet.

9. Scubadt

Scubadt New commenter

Autodesk Fusion 360 is also available as a free education licence. Think there is a simplified version that can be used in a browser.

Quite simple to use and can produce some pretty decent renders.

10. Hi. Depending on what you would like to do with the drawings then think about 2d CAD or 3d CAD. If you want to produce nets for packaging / card models / packaging designs etc then I would look at Techsoft 2d Design. They did do a Primary version with limited options. Quite easy to use. This could be linked to a vinyl cutter or laser cutter (CAM) if your budget could stretch to it. A vinyl cutter is quite low cost and would give you options to create a range of products.
    For 3d CAD I like Tinkercad - its free and you can signup under 13 year olds with just a username and parents/teachers email. Be aware that they will have access to a forum / shared gallery - also has a lego and minecraft mode!
    Sketchup is another good option. I would say Autodesk Fusion 360 would be quite difficult for primary students.
    3d Printers are getting cheaper but try to get one that is easy to setup - the best one I believe is the Prusa Mk3 at the moment but is a little more expensive. They are really slow so quite hard for a class group to product something.
    Hope this helps

11. davidkirby007

davidkirby007 New commenter

Autodesk Fusion 360 (replacing Inventor) is the best way forwards even at KS2, particularly if your Secondary School is doing this, pupils can have their own account at home too. There are good tutorials and you can start with a simple exercise like a noughts and crosses game board with pegs in Year 6. Produce a simple step by step booklet for the pupils to follow at their own pace add extension tasks and demo each stage ideally using a projector/smartboard.