1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CAD for MAC

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by changeagain, Mar 16, 2011.

1. changeagain

changeagain New commenter

Hi, New to this, but can anybody recommend any software for MAC that does not involve having to use a windows partition?
    I know about google sketchup but would like to have something simillar to Techsoft 2d design or Pro desktop that would use the mac operating system.

Diolch/thank you

2. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I'm sorry, but Mac's are only useful for artistic design and publishing. It's a historic thing. Macs were never interested in making themselves adaptable, like having the ability to insert a card that will work a machine. They didn't wan't you to take the lid off the thing, whereas PCs were designed to allow people to do just this. Consequently, anyone involved in making anything bought a PC and software to drive it was written.
    You have to remember, in the early days of computing, a computer was a large investment, as was software. Macs became popular because you just plugged thgen in and everything worked so the technically illiterate didn't have to think, however, they've never driven anything other than a printer albeit attempts by machinery manufacturers to try and encompass macs, it isn't worth their while, as ther are relatively few of them, compared with PCs where the big money exists.
    To be honest, if D&T didn't have the design element but concentrated only on technology, I doubt anyone would ever consider equiping a workshop with macs. The question you need to ask yourself is exactly what it is you are doing and have the appropriate equipment to do it with. As an example, I am intriged that model railway builders buy themselves lathes with milling attachments that are a pain to use and produce inferior work than having 2 machines. I know that cost and space are factors in this hobby but it would surely be better, and an ambition to have the correct machine for the job.

3. changeagain

Thank you for the advice, I will give "winebottler" a try. Have you tried running a CNC machine through winebottler?
    For the record, I do have a special place in my heart for model railway enthusiasts, as well as Cyberphobiaists.

4. Hi
    Following your suggestion that winebotler will run 2D Design, I've downloaded the app and tried to install 2D Design, so far I have managed to get it up and running. Any advice on which .exe files I need to open with winebottler would be greatly recieved!
    Cheers

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Macs will also run windows (forgot what it's called. Back to PC or something?) might easy to do and will allow you to use your present software? X

6. littlemissraw

I think its great some schools are using Macs. I teach at Uni ATM and the vast majority haven't a clue where to start when given a Mac interface. Whilst I personally think PCs are equally as good I think it can only be beneficial that students learn both. x

7. modelmaker

He's giving it all away to good causes and encouraging other multibillionaires to do the same with a fair deal of success. He worked out that fabulous wealth is pointless in its own right. He can never spend it all on himself, and it never stops coming in, so why not use it to benefit those who can never get to smell of money?
    Bill Gates always gets a bad press, quite unfairly IMO.
    It ought to. What are the real virues of one system over the other? If there are none everyone would go for the less expensive option. Macs are the more expensive, so tell us succinctly, all you mac lovers, how they actually perform better.

8. changeagain

God bless Bill, giving it all away and now living on a run down council estate!
    My personal preference is now the Mac, but what you use is up to you!
    There is no need to justify why people prefer the Mac OS or Windows OS.
    What next, arguments over what CNC machine is the best, best make of drill bits or what style font is the greatest? What a boring world it would be if we all had the same opinion.
    Variety is the spice of life.

9. littlemissraw

10. changeagain

Thank you for that, Cambria font is so last season but hey ho.[​IMG]

11. modelmaker

Well, of course here it's a much simpler question to answer, because we can discuss things like robustness of the construction, consequent longevity and tool bits that wear out more quickly than others by virtue of what materials they are constructed from. It isn't pointy hat stuff and vanity any longer.

12. foxbat

foxbat New commenter

Just wanted to say big thanks to mugoftea, winebottler is ace!

I'm a Mac user and have been for years now, I am able because I have to be, to use PCs and Macs. I personally have a mac and have just purchased an iMac for work. The debate is endless about which is best, they both are made for different jobs, there are overlaps and most often a pc can do what a mac does and vice versa. However what is one of the most important factors for me is quality of manufacture and design. I have had a macbook for 5 years now, it has been regularly updated, and the only thing I have changed is the size of the hard drive. And it still works brilliantly. A colleague spent £800 on a smart sony vaio which within 6 months had physically broken.
    I try to teach kids about good design, about aesthetics and ergonomics. (I recommend "Objectified" DVD to everyone here) and I genuinely feel that Apple products can teach us so much about what makes a successful design a success.

The quaity, look and feel of any apple product get the kids enthused, excited and energised about design, my desktop PC definately dosen't.

I guess it used to be the old form vs function with the Mac and PC, but now a mac has both form and function.

Oh well i guess it is just personal preference..

13. Did see think she had won the nigerian lottery again ! Lucky she doesn't have a Mac, then you'd have really been stuck.

14. Do you know of anyone that's succeeded in using wine with prodesktop?

We've used Solidworks with Bootcamp, but no one likes rebooting Macs these days, Pro/D is just so light on the memory it would seem the best solution for emuation or shelling..(whatever it is)

mat

15. timbdesign

timbdesign New commenter

We know of many schools running PTC Creo happily on Macs using Boot Camp or Parallels.