1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Cache Level 4 certificate for the advanced practitioner

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Lsamumofthree, Jun 30, 2019.

  1. Lsamumofthree

    Lsamumofthree New commenter

    Hi everyone !

    Just wondering if anyone has done this course ?

    I have got my Level 3 Diploma , my HLTA status and have just completed the level 4 HLTA qualification with Best Practice network.
    Looking for the next step but this costs £600 ! Thought I would ask you first !

    Thank you
  2. sunshineneeded

    sunshineneeded Lead commenter

    I haven't done the course and don't know anyone who has, so I can't comment. I enjoy learning and believe that any course which develops your skills and knowledge is never time wasted - but £600 is a lot of money. HLTA is Level 4; you would need to have a good look at the course syllabus to find out if it would be new learning for you. Would obtaining the qualification make any difference to your role, status or salary in your job? I know that's not the be all and end all, but it is a consideration.
    Have you thought about teaching? You have a lot of experience and maybe that's the way forward.
    Lsamumofthree likes this.
  3. Lsamumofthree

    Lsamumofthree New commenter

    Hi thanks for the reply ! I love learning and I would be doing the course mostly for that. I have had a look and it seems to be a slight step up from the HLTA - or it sound s it !

    Doubt if it would affect my current role but might make a cover supervisor role possible ? I don’t want to be a teacher - I have no degree so it would take a lot to get qualified ! Plus I see what they do ! I like being a HLTA !

    Thanks though you have given me some things to think about ! Have been lucky and my school have funded me so far ! Don’t think I can ask for this as well.
  4. rolls

    rolls New commenter

    I wonder why you don’t look at a Foundation Degree course. If you enjoy learning it would seem the logic next step. You may not want to go into Teaching there are lots of jobs that require people to be able decayed to degree level. There are lots of foundation degrees courses that are taught in the evening or on one day a week so you can work and study.
  5. Lsamumofthree

    Lsamumofthree New commenter

    To be honest I haven’t got the money or the time to commit to a degree ! Am happy studying separate units that will help with my role
  6. rolls

    rolls New commenter

    You would entitled to a student loan for a degree. If you take the course as a part time student fees can be lower than for full time degrees.
    If you do take another level 4 course ask how many HE credits it is worth in case you want to use it towards a degree in the future. A meaningful course should be at least 20 credits to enable a university to use it towards a degree.
  7. Lsamumofthree

    Lsamumofthree New commenter

    Am finding your replies a bit patronising !

    I am aware of student loans and the interest rate attached to them !

    I know how many points my recent level 4 was and how many this one would be. Have already explained why I am not interested in a degree !!!

    My post was just asking if anyone had studied this qualification!
  8. snugglepot

    snugglepot Occasional commenter

    I haven’t done this one but I imagine it may have been put in place of the ADCE Advance Diploma of Childcare and Education. This was the Level Four following the NNEB Dip. I did a few of the modules but then a RTA meant I was unable to complete it. If you can sign up for a module at a time then try one and see how you feel. Otherwise maybe ask Cache if they can give you more information and perhaps ask if a previous student could email you. If you are willing to pass them your email. Perhaps someone will come along and enlighten us all. Otherwise perhaps consider a module on something specific. I have consider a Uni / NHS one on Autism in the past. Childcare made it too difficult at the time but the course looked very interesting. Good luck.

    Do you teach as a HLTA?
    Lsamumofthree likes this.
  9. Lsamumofthree

    Lsamumofthree New commenter

    hi Snugglepot ! Sadly can’t seem to do this course on a module at a time basis ! It’s all or nothing !

    Yes I do teach as a HLTA - I provide class cover in my school.

    Thanks for the response !
  10. Kateray1

    Kateray1 Occasional commenter

    Hi op

    Have you considered the open university? You don’t have to do a degree but a university diploma would give you a level 5 qualification and you can do this module by module.
    Lsamumofthree likes this.
  11. garem1

    garem1 New commenter

Share This Page