1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

CA for the GCSE English Spec

Discussion in 'English' started by sharonmoore, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Hi there, I'm writing a SOW for the new English spec in a new KS4 department in a PRU. Has anyone got any ideas on which Shakespeare is a good option for low ability EBD students? Also, I'm not sure which prose to teach for other cultures. I normally teach Of Mice and Men, but I think they might find this difficult. Has anyone got any suggestions. A colleague has suggested The Outsiders but I've not taught it before and I'm not sure if this is a good choice?

2. It would help us if we knew which exam board you were following.

3. Sorry, AQA!

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Low ability Shakespeare, I'd go for Macbeth because you can deal with just two characters and witchcraft. Doesn't get much easier than Of Mice. It has a good DVD and most tasks enable you to focus on one or to chapters, the Outsiders is a KS3 text for me. Low ability EBD students are often able students wit low literacy levels, if you know what I mean.

5. Thank you! If anyone has any good SOW, resources or suggestions of what resources I could buy, on either Macbeth or OM&AM, I would be very grateful.

6. abaine2

abaine2 New commenter

Try 'Heroes' by Robert Cormier as an alternative to 'Of Mice and Men'. Plenty of resources available here: http://www.teachit.co.uk/index.asp?CurrMenu=19&T=153#153