1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

C system

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by User2525, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hi

When I did the Student Associate Scheme the school used a sanctions system called the 'C' system, where students received different warnings and sanctions based on the behaviour (C1, C2, C3 and so forth). My new school is reviewing its behaviour policy and was quite interested by this system.

I was wondering whether anyone works in a school in a school where a system like this is used and/or whether anyone has a guide/document explaining the C system that they could send me.

Any help would be appreciated.

I will, of course, contact the school I was visiting but I thought people here may have additional advice or information to share.

Thanks

M

2. saintharry13

saintharry13 New commenter

Would be more than happy to tell you what I know as I have had a fair amount of experience in this system, do you want to post you e mail....?

3. I've PMed you with it.

4. We have a similar one, but it has absolutely no effect, because by the time we get up to 2 and 3, SMT are terrified that it might actually mean having to suspend or exclude a student. In theory you issue a level 1 disciplinary for the first event or a mild one. Then if they don't improve within a set time frame you can go to level 2. Level 3 is one off exclusion, and it took five months of one of mine circling around between 1 and 2 before we got to 3. They pretty much laughed it off.

5. Random175

Random175 New commenter

Wow that's a pretty steep ladder! No wonder it's not useful! My understanding of the C method is something like C1 warning C2 10 min detention C3 half an hour C4 hour detention etc and it is purely for issuing by the teacher. Exclusion is after that and for things which are much more extreme than 'not putting up your hand', talking over the teacher etc.

6. madenglishgirl

madenglishgirl New commenter

Our system works a treat - C1, C2, C3 (hour long centrally run detention - staffed by SMT) C4 (sometimes internal exclusion, mostly 3 x 1 hour long detention) C5 (internal exclusion)
    Simple!

7. My school uses the C system and for the most part it works ok. The kids however, really know how to work the system!

We have C1 and C2 being initial warnings, C3 being an after school detention and a C4 causing the offending student to be removed from that subject for two lessons.

Giving out C1s is fairly run of the mill and it doesn't make that much difference, so with certain kids I will try and get them to a C2 asap if they're being out of order, that way the threat of detention is more imminent. I've only ever given 2 C4s, they work well though.

The hard part is just remembering to use it, especially now at the end of term when everyone is worked up and even the good kids are starting to enter "C" territory.

Hope it works for you.

8. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

For what does the C stand?

9. Rhysboy

Rhysboy New commenter

My experience of the Consequence system was that it worked for most students, but for the more 'hardcore' troublemakers, it didn't make much of a difference. Another problem was that senior management used it to identify teachers who in their eyes, had weak behavior management. Each C3 or C4 was logged on a system and if you were giving too many, then you'd be flagged up as a failing teacher. Getting kids to attend after school detentions was also a major challenge, out of a list of 30, maybe only 10 would turn up. So, yes it works if the sanctions can be applied but it needs to be backed up be a reward system (which we also had in our school).