1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

C.O.P.E. - ASDAN

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by minnie me, Jun 6, 2006.

1. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

My colleague - Head of Humanities, PSHE and Citizenship has now been asked to take responsibiity for the dlivery of a 'new ' course - Certificate of Personal Effectiveness for KS4 students. Anyone else doing this / produced a SoW / resources /advise which I can pass onto her ??. This course at Level 1 seems like something my TA could deliver out of the KS3 Curriculum Support Centre - stating in Year 9 for those who are rapidly abandoning the ' normal ' curiculum .

2. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

My colleague - Head of Humanities, PSHE and Citizenship has now been asked to take responsibiity for the dlivery of a 'new ' course - Certificate of Personal Effectiveness for KS4 students. Anyone else doing this / produced a SoW / resources /advise which I can pass onto her ??. This course at Level 1 seems like something my TA could deliver out of the KS3 Curriculum Support Centre - stating in Year 9 for those who are rapidly abandoning the ' normal ' curiculum .

3. I've also been roped in to run... and about to start on thursday.

i have basically gone through the book and plucked the bits i find interesting and thats what we will do...! it does seem straightfoward although i have a feeling the paperwork will be a nightmare....

How's she delivering her first lesson?

4. we do this with our "vocational post 16" - the teachers who deliver it don't think much of it, though!

5. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

I think that she will call the shots when it comes to what the students will follow and dictate / guide the groups. She is one of a team of 4 who will deliver to some students who are pursuing a vocational pathway and others who are not.

6. Our acting SENCO was teaching that in my room the other day. Poor woman was muttering to me that she hated teaching stuff like this! You should've seen the kids in the class - nightmare. Saying that, i have to teach entry level French to the same lot.

7. I taught my first COPE lesson on thursday and cant believe that i throughly enjoyed it!!

the kids cannot believe that they can literally chose the direction of their course and that it has nothing to do with school at all! we started off by doing presentations of the life and works of their favourite famous person, and they were all beavering away....

so far so good!

8. I've been teaching Asdan/Cope since January, on supply, and it's been the most enjoyable long term contract I've had.

9. I've been teaching the CoPE level 2 and Wider Key Skills level 2 for years now...and i really enjoy it...so the kids! I'm just setting up the Career Planning level 2 as well....I must be mad! Just make it fun and you can't go wrong!

10. geog16

geog16 New commenter

I, too, have been delivering COPE level 2 for a year now and the kids love it. They dont see it as 'work' because every lesson is different. It is a fantastic way for kids to learn and I love teaching it. I must admit I had lots of help in the beginning as most people have.....by anniebird, an angel sent through a prayer. For more on this topic look in the PHSE section.

11. i will be teaching this in conjunction with the BTEC Explorer course from EDEXCEL

12. I am going to be teaching this from Septemeber any advice would be great! Has anyone got a SOW or ideas for the first couple of lessons?

Thanks in advance
    Kaz

13. I have to admit that this ASDAN course was something that had passed me by - but having looked at the basic info on the QCA website, it might just suit in our school. Those of you who have already been teaching ASDAN - how to you cope with helping the kids through deciding what topics or areas of interest they are going to work on, and how do you deal with the action planning, recording, review process etc.? What is the reaction of the kids themselves? Is this something that potential employers might respect (given the news on Radio 4 this morning that many employers throw C.V.s in the bin from applicants with less than 5 A-Cs)?

14. geog16

geog16 New commenter

I have had 17 pupils who got 46 points (B) through ASDAN CoPE level 2. If employers are throwing cvs in the bin with less than 5 a-c's then they cant be worth working for. As a teacher we are expected to provide a curriculum that is accessible to all and most of us do that. If employers cant see that we try to give all pupils a fair start in life, ready for their next stage (employment)then they are missing out on a pool of kids that may benefit or enhance their company.
    CoPE provides a variety of skills that pupils can develop to help them in many aspects of life.

15. The COPE and wider key skills gives them basic key skills to help them when they are employed. Employers and colleges love pupils to have these qualifications. Because of the COPE and wider key skills qualifications (they get an A and a B GCSE for the wider key skills) the kids i taught can now get into college and further their education. For them that makes a huge difference! I have to say the pupils i taught that have just left matured so much through doing the asdan...it gave them confidence in their own abilities!

16. It's going to be our first year running it and hopefully it will help out the 30 kids that we are doing it with - really looking forward to it.

Has anyone got a SOW or ideas for lessons floating around that I could have a look at?

Many Thanks
    Kaz
    kjhale@ntlworld.com

17. hi have a look at south yorkshire keyskills website they have a passport which has lesson plans also chalkface do a booklet with lesson plans and worksheets for asdan i have taught asdan for the last 3 years and enjoyed every minute of it

18. Thanks Big Mac, I'll have a look at that.

I have seen a few ASDAN key skills resources on the net but not many for COPE level 2. Is there much difference between the two of them?

Thanks Again

Kaz

19. I would avoid calling it ASDAN as a lot of kids call it Spazdan.

The kids at our school do really well on the course.

20. dear annie bird could you be my saving grace, i need the schemes of work for cope. Already got 25 students needing to do it and management have asked if i will do level 2 with a group as well.
    Eternally grateful
    lesleystockdale@tiscali.co.uk