1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

C&M Diploma L3 - Unit 6 investigation. HELP!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by inspectorgoole, Mar 14, 2012.

1. I am an English teacher currently teaching several units of the L3 C&M Diploma. We got the results for the Unit 6 Investigation essay back last week and I am really disappointed. The highest grade we got was a D. What did we do wrong?
    Our students mainly picked actors - should they have picked artists?
    A lot of our research was internet, with some books - should they be doing primary research too? Such as questionnaires, surveys on the impact of their practitioner in modern life?
    If anyone has taught this unit and got successful grades, PLEASE help me, as I'm really disappointed on behalf the students, and don't want to let them down. Edexcel are being really unhelpful in terms of feedback - all I've got is the breakdown scores and am nervous of starting the retake without some solid advice.

2. I am an English teacher currently teaching several units of the L3 C&M Diploma. We got the results for the Unit 6 Investigation essay back last week and I am really disappointed. The highest grade we got was a D. What did we do wrong?
    Our students mainly picked actors - should they have picked artists?
    A lot of our research was internet, with some books - should they be doing primary research too? Such as questionnaires, surveys on the impact of their practitioner in modern life?
    If anyone has taught this unit and got successful grades, PLEASE help me, as I'm really disappointed on behalf the students, and don't want to let them down. Edexcel are being really unhelpful in terms of feedback - all I've got is the breakdown scores and am nervous of starting the retake without some solid advice.

3. Hi, I too am teaching that unit and it has been a hard struggle. From what I understand if the students pick actors they should be chosing someone who is very much in the public eye and has many books articles reviews about them that the students can access for their research. They also need to pick an actor who can definitely be shown to work in more than one discipline - so they would need to be an actor/director or actor/screenwriter and the essay MUST show how they combine the disciplines.
    I have just sent off my third lot of essays, the first only got Ds or Us, the second got Ds and Cs.
    I am hoping for more Cs - I think it is highly unlikely anyone will get above a C - the whole unit is worth 60 marks and if they get 30 that is just an E!!
    Their research logs have to be really extensive and they need to show they have used books film and the internet as well as some Primary research - such as questionaires or emails to agents etc.
    I have stuck very closely to the marking criteria when guiding the students on how to write their essays - so the students know they have to put the work they are writing about into a political or social context - for example one student writing about Tarantino dicussed the fact that the BBFC delayed the release of Reservoir Dogs to DVD for two years because at the time of it being consided the Jamie Bulger murder and all the discussions about violence in film affecting children was going on.
    They must also give their own critical response to the work they discuss - as well as what the critics and general public thought about it.
    It has been hell trying to anticipate what the examiner wants and I won;t know if I have done it until this August, but if you would like to talk to me my number is 01228 561345.
    Cheers,
    Susie