1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

C&G 7303 PTTLS - MICRO TEACH

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by SusieMc, Feb 28, 2008.

1. I have recently taken the first steps towards developing my interest in teaching and am currently studying the City & Guilds 7303 Preparing To Teach In The Lifelong Learning Sector on a part time basis whilst working full time as a regional manager (non educational sector). My hope is to work with adults within the FE sector eventually. I now need to start thinking about delivering a 30 minute micro teach which I am finding a bit perplexing as I am not in (nor ever have been)in any kind of teaching or training environment before. As I am a mature student and new to this environment I don't really know what area of learning I would like to teach in yet - consequently, I am really struggling with trying to think of a subject which I can deliver at the end of the course for the micro teach. My tutor has suggested developing a scheme of work and lesson plan around a hobby - but the fact is I don't have time for hobbies as my 'day job' is quite demanding. Sad but true! Does anyone have any ideas that may help me actually choose a subject area as my brain seems to have come to a standstill in terms of thinking of something relatively simple that I could deliver. I have just started a new job working for a Children's Hospice (Business Development) and I did think about looking at Corporate Social Responsibility as a subject (even though it would be a steep learning curve for me to start researching this topic)but how do I turn that into a scheme of work and lesson plan for the micro-teach? Help!!!

2. I have recently taken the first steps towards developing my interest in teaching and am currently studying the City & Guilds 7303 Preparing To Teach In The Lifelong Learning Sector on a part time basis whilst working full time as a regional manager (non educational sector). My hope is to work with adults within the FE sector eventually. I now need to start thinking about delivering a 30 minute micro teach which I am finding a bit perplexing as I am not in (nor ever have been)in any kind of teaching or training environment before. As I am a mature student and new to this environment I don't really know what area of learning I would like to teach in yet - consequently, I am really struggling with trying to think of a subject which I can deliver at the end of the course for the micro teach. My tutor has suggested developing a scheme of work and lesson plan around a hobby - but the fact is I don't have time for hobbies as my 'day job' is quite demanding. Sad but true! Does anyone have any ideas that may help me actually choose a subject area as my brain seems to have come to a standstill in terms of thinking of something relatively simple that I could deliver. I have just started a new job working for a Children's Hospice (Business Development) and I did think about looking at Corporate Social Responsibility as a subject (even though it would be a steep learning curve for me to start researching this topic)but how do I turn that into a scheme of work and lesson plan for the micro-teach? Help!!!

3. 30 minutes may be long enough to put across the bare bones of corporate social responsibility, but my advice would be to think much smaller than that. This is one of the reasons why your tutor advised drawing on a hobby or interest. For a micro teach to be successful, it needs to be a topic you are intimately familiar with giving you the freedom to express your teaching potential without becoming fixated on content. The ?how? you put the topic across will shine through if the ?what? is something you know well.

A part of your work, an area where you have expertise, is a cracking place to start ? but chunk it down. If you can make it have some practical application that all your ?learners? will relate to this will make it more engaging. Sometimes the most abstract ideas work the best, I remember one particularly good session on folding a table napkin into a bishop?s mitre and another on effleurage that was particularly ?hands on? (excuse the pun).

My advice would be to forget subject for a brief moment and think what type of teaching approach you would like to demonstrate ? then go for a subject that lends itself to that style. If you want to make use of theoretical input followed by group discussion or debate then ?dying at home? may be a great topic, alternatively if you want to show the development of motor skills, then taking in a load of old ties to teach ?the perfect double Windsor? may be the way to go.

Hope that helps in some limited way.

4. I teach Military types 7303 and here is my rather curt advice for them. (They like rules)
    You will have thirty minutes to fill no more no less.
    You will be videoed by a camera man
    You will need to set the room up for your activity, remembering that you will be one in a long line of candidates that morning, so don't be over ambitous about "Changing rooms."
    Have all kit you will need in a plastic box.
    At the end fo the session, put kit back in plastic box and clear the area.
    Remember your peer group will feedback on your session
    Ensure you have enough copies of the session plan.
    The group will be mixed ability, age, gender etc.
    Imagine that you are going to deliver Holidaying in the XXXXX. it is highly unlikely if not unheard of that everyone in the group will have the same knowledge and skills about the XXXXX.
    Consider:

Will all of my learners have visited the XXXX before?
    Were they on holiday?
    Which bit of the XXXXX
    Shall I include a bit of history?
    Have any of the group lived there?
    Was it a working trip?
    What will I talk about the ensure that even those who HAVE been or who have NEVER been gain SOMETHING from the Micro-teach
    Is the session going to have practical activities?
    What is my aim?
    What are my objectives?
    Do I want to use a learner discussion activity?
    How can I make sure that I stay to time?

Remeber your audience will be a mixed bag. DO not assume that any of them will have prior knowledge.
    Chose a subject that you know really well.
    Which bit of the subject do you want to deliver?
    Can this be taught in the confines of your base room?
    What facilities are already there?
    Remeber that the end is as important as the beginnig
    Ensure that you have rehearsed your session on colleagues and friends
    Make sure that you can assess the progess of your learners during the session
    Find out through friends and tutors about any mannersims that you may have and neutralise them
    Create a sesison plan that has a clear aim, obj and tried and tested timings.

I hope that this helps.

Speak to your tutor and use the blank pro forma that the assessors will use to test you to tick off that you have covered all bases.

Now is not the time to chose a subject that you are now 100% on.
    How about??????
    SCUBA Diving
    Plug wiring
    Cheeses
    Bee Keeping
    Quilting
    Paris
    XXXXXX

5. Thanks for the replies and really useful comments - all make a lot of sense and I wish you were both my tutor as I understand more of what is required in those two short emails than in 5 weeks of tutition! I think I have been trying to think too deeply about the whole thing so I am just going to bite the bullet, choose a subject I have some understanding in and go for it! Thanks again. xx

6. The other posters are quite right - I teach and inspect the 740 and cert Ed and micro teach is often too complicated and can be dull. Best Ive seen - polishing a pair of shoes, followed by juggling three balls (which two people ere able to do at the end of the session). Worst was interest rates in the banking system.

A hobby can be cooking, gardening, walking, swimming. The knack is to get people to learn something new about a subject they might already be familar with.

I think the tutor wants you to do something you like and know well. You will then have conficence about the subject and can think of interesting ways of getting the message across, rather than trying to research a new subject. Think simple
    Good luck

7. Hi

I am currently studying the 7304 certificate course after recently achieving the 7303 PTLLS. Many on that course did get all worked up about the Microteach.

If you haven't been 'up in front' of people doing presentations or the like, this is probably the most difficult part to overcome.

Try to relax / stay cool, be confident of your session before you being to deliver. Don't enter the classroom with a vision of it all going wrong or else it probably will. Think of it as your opportunity to impress, & visulise it all going smoothly.

Here are some of the subjects from my group

'Introduction to electricity'
    How to do a wet shave
    Emergency Fire procedure
    Planting a bulb
    Car wheels & tyres
    Fractions

Good luck :)

8. Hello, I am currently studying for PTLLS level 4 and I know this sounds a cheek but I wonder if you would be perpared to e-mail me through your theory assignments to give me some idea of the scope and content required. I trust your micro teach went well!
    Best Regards
    Tilly

9. Oh, now I know what you mean by microteach PTTLS!! (Sorry but education is swamped with jargon and acronyms these days and so I don't care to remember them alll). Are you ever involve din training people in your job as a manager? Someone in my group did a good session on how to answer the telephone. It can be on absolutely anything, just make it interesting by including a fun activity and perhaps by making it relevant. Do you ever teach (directly or indirectly) people about teamwork or leadership?How about teaching them about management strategies? Your vocation must surely give you lots of experience that you could share and teachers to be would appreciate some management tips that might help in the classroom.