1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

C/D borderline students

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by diggory, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    Have gone back today to an email from SLT to say our monitoring results are 10% or more down on targets A* - C. Both in terms of overall results and EBacc we basically need to convert Ds to Cs. The issue is that the students who are below grade C in achievement have found the controlled assessment hard and have not gained marks in these areas but in terms of exams have achieved C grades in the mock papers.
    I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions of what to do with these students to improve results given the lack of time and the fact that the areas they most need to improve are speaking and writing controlled assessments.
    What are you doing with your students who are C/D borderline?
    Thanks for your time!

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

If it is too late to influence their S/W marks, concentrate on R & L to make sure they ace those.
    I have sone useful stuff: email me if you want it - henri.ette@btinternet.com.
    H

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

I've got my lot to use a text to speech website to help with their pronunciation in the speaking. If it's whole-school you might get the Head to support a compulsory after-school revision session (paid-for by the school) where they can improve their writing skills for a last ditch at a Controlled Assessment. Get your smt to put the money where the mouth is...

4. Hi,
    Noemie - the website sounds a great idea. They have one more speaking assessment to do in French and Spanish. Can you let me have the web address.
    Henriette - I'll take you up on the kind offer. Will email you!

5. I enter all C/D borderline students for Higher tier R and L

6. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

My C/D borderline would simply not cope with a higher. Hence why they're aiming for a C and not a B, because they don't have the ability to reach a B.