1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

C/D borderline-PLEASE help

Discussion in 'English' started by lizfee, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,
    I'm in dire need of some help.
    My year 11's (31 c/d borderline kids) are still not "getting it" in terms of what they need for a C grade (AQA legacy spec language). My deputy head has called me up and basically said I'm a rubbish teacher because of this. (He snuck in and interrogated them while I was off sick yesterday) I am gutted. I've tried lots of strategies,work really hard with them,they do try,work hard in lessons,do their h/w but it's STILL not sticking...(I'm "failing" them) That's why I'm in dire need of some help. I hate to ask for stuff but I'm really miserable and in need of a bit of support ( I'm really not getting any in my school). Does anyone have any lesson materials/work samples/model answers/ideas that might help? I've got piles of resources to share in exchange for some help.
    Thank you in advance,
    A very,very miserable Liz :(

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Do they know (individually) what they need to do in order to move themselves from D to C? Do they know what Grade C answers/essays look like? If they're borderline, they must all be doing some things right - do they have individual targets?
    I think at this point, it's a bit late for whole class fixes unless there are one or two things that they all lose marks on.

3. I'm guessing that the deputy head understands all about C/D grades and league tables and marking schemes, but not about English.
    In other subjects there can be quick fixes, in English it is impossible. You got to gradually teach children not to use stigmatised forms, by refusing to accept them, and gradually encourage sophistication and flexibility of thought, by setting questions that are appropriate to their level of development.
    If you do that, you're teaching your pupils what they need to know, and that will be reflected in the marks. There is no other way.You need to tell your supervisor that he is mistaken about this.

4. That's not what you should be doing in lesson time, except once or twice.
    I know it's effective in getting children used to taking exams, but the objective is to teach the subject, not exam teachnique.

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

1. The exam is 15 lessons away
    2. They have all under performed in November and I am targeting their areas of under performance.
    3. We are a National Challenge School (as was) and the focus is on getting the C

6. Thanks for the excellent advice.This sounds like a great idea. Would you happen to have a lesson plan/sample task as an example by any chance? I know I sound as thick as a plank but I'm so caught up in chalk and talk lately my mind is blank! I haven't had a lesson with them since the DH questioned them about my teaching so I need a killer lesson for Monday! (DH will be observing me for three lessons next week.. he has to make sure I'm not painting my nails up the front with my feet up I suppose!!!)
    I actually forgot to mention these are my first C/D GCSE class that I've seen the whole way through KS4 and that's probably why I'm a bit freaked out...
    Thanks again..
    My email is gorm_elektra@hotmail.com if anyone has any resources
    xxxxxx