1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

C CONSULTATION Future assessment arrangements for GCSE computer science

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Skeoch, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

2. Dorsetdreams

Dorsetdreams Occasional commenter

Well, I'm delighted that I won't again have to mark and moderate GCSE coursework/NEAs and then suffer the stress of ridiculous moderation adjustments.

I'm worried that the on-line assessment will end up being language specific and that the chosen language will be Python. (Without wanting to start a language war, I've found that VB.net , with forms, works nicely at GCSE, followed by C# , command line + forms, at A-level).

Oh, and thinking of A-level, a much higher stakes assessment, why is un-timed, do-anywhere (by anyone) coursework still fine?

3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I think that A level is a bit different, both in the type of student that does it, and the type of task undertaken.

A level students will be more interested in the subject - I find students doing GCSE Computer Science because they didn't want to do music, woodwork, or whatever else was in the same option block. They just want to get the coursework done with minimal effort, and because everyone is doing the same thing it makes finding the code easier.

A level students choose their own task, so it's less likely that there'll be something that's exactly the same, and because the projects are more complex and require a combination of techniques, even if you copy the code for individual portions, e.g. hashing or tree traversal, there's still a degree of synthesis required to put it all together. GCSE projects are often quite trivial and rely on one technique.

Dorsetdreams likes this.
  4. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

EDUQAS Computer Science, component 2 is examined on screen and is based in the Greenfoot Java IDE, I would think that the change for their NEA would not be to difficult. It may be the case that you look at different exam boards to suite your preferences for languages.

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Please, please, please reply to the consultation via Ofqual as well as on here!

Dorsetdreams likes this.
  6. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Why? These 'consultations' are just tick box exercises. Very few teachers I know ever wanted the NEAs, but what happened after the NEA consulation? We got NEAs.

7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

I wonder how many teachers responded to the NEA consultation? Judging by what I've seen in other consultations, the proportion of teachers responding could have been very low. Discussing here and on other forums is a good thing, but we have to engage with Ofqual and others if we want to bring about change and influence things.

8. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

“But we have to engage with OFQUAL”

No we don’t, and we shouldn’t. They have consistently, over many many years, ignored the real concerns of teachers. They have demonstrated that they are largely a deaf organisation with an opaque structure, employing faceless individuals who are unaccountable for their decisions. They seem to spend their existence only taking advice from organisations like the BCS and the Royal Society, themselves completely unrepresentative of teachers and schools, being largely made up of academics and large company representatives. Teachers never have had and never will get a look in.

Many of us now actively boycott OFQUAL and would encourage all teachers to do the same. We have tried honest engagement for years and it failed. Now we should just ignore them completely and accelerate their poor reputation as they disintegrate with ever more incompetent decisions after incompetent decisions.