1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

C-19 impact on TA contracts, advice please

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Flanks, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

I am a SENCO of a medium sized secondary school. I have found out that last week a small number of my TAs received letters saying that out of goodwill they would be paid to end of June (minus holiday entitlement), but unless schools reopen by then pay will cease. The rationale is that because the school is a publically funded body it can not apply for the government furlough scheme (which I believe to be the case), however I thought that the school funding would remain the same so why the need to reduce pay to staff?

I have a suspicion that the only TAs affected are those on year to year contracts, my permanent TAs do not seem to have had letters that I am aware of.

Anyway, is anyone here aware of simlar things elsewhere or specific union guidance which I can pass to my TAs? I am making my own enquiries, but want to support the ones being affected if I can.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I haven't heard of this happening anywhere else. I don't know anything about the legal situation, but I hope those TAs who have had letters are contacting their unions asap. As far as I know, school funding is remaining the same; I've had a quick look on the Unison website but can't find anything to help with what's being suggested. Can only re-iterate - they need to contact their unions on Monday.

Flanks likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

They need to get their unions involved asap.

It is correct that state schools should not furlough staff. But that's because they are supposed to keep them on their normal payroll as the school is still receiving it's income from the DfE. Terminating staff would mean the school is 'making a profit' - they are still getting the income from government but are keeping it and not using it to pay staff.

Flanks likes this.
  4. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

@Rott Weiler do you know of or have a link to any guidance on this?

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

If they are on temporary contracts though, I think their employment can be terminated at anytime, is that correct?

6. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

TAs are normally on year contracts or permanent. What I'm struggling to understand is the reduced pay during school year.

7. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Issue resolved. Slightly complicated, but it was nothing to do with the person being a TA and their TA contract is not affected. Good news all around!