1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Byebye GCSEs?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by ScienceGuy, Jun 21, 2012.

1. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Established commenter

The document has been confirmed as fairly accurate - we live in interesting times!

2. I doubt Mr Gove will even still be Minister for Education in 2014 when this is meant to all begin. This sort of news gives me such a headache! I know Education needs to move with the times, progress and be the best for the students but I often think lately that many ideas coming from the Government are going in the wrong direction...........this is so going to be interesting to see where this goes!

3. ScienceGuy

I am in favour of certain aspects e.g. a single exam board and slightly concerned about others e.g. the removal of the dual award for science (which may lead to schools not teaching Biology, Chemistry and Physics to all students) but until we see the full detail it is only speculation.

4. I agree with you about the single exam board but yes it'll be interesting to see whether he offically announces this....welcome to 21st Century Education!

5. simon1971

simon1971 New commenter

***Further leaked information***

Michael Gove plans to remove all interactive whiteboards and go back to blackboards and OHP's in a bid to drive up standards like it was in his day.

6. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

If leaving age is going up to 17 and then to 18, what is the point of any external exams at 16?

7. ScienceGuy

In a further update, the change to OHPs has been found to be false as using new fangled technology with no place in a proper classroom. Quills and ink will now be required and pupils assessed on their copper plate handwriting.

8. Herringthecat

Herringthecat New commenter

Photocopying rooms in schools up and down the country will be closed down and the banda reintroduced. Ofsted will be including a new judgement criteria based on the amount of purple ink found under a teacher's nails.

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Do you suppose we'll return to using log tables, too?

10. Or perhaps, just perhaps, Gove has been listening to teachers...
    Is everyone ignoring the dumbing down of GCSEs that has happened over the past ten years or so? Is everyone ignoring that there are already two tiers in most subjects at GCSE? Are people ignoring the trend in some schools to even go below GCSE - replacing GSCE PE with the BTEC as it is easier? Is everyone ignoring the fact that there has been a further division in the past few years with certain schools going down the IGCSE route as, let's face it, GCSE has very little challenge for the able students?
    Let's not pretend that the GCSE model is working as was originally intended. The current system needs to be seriously modified or thrown out.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I knew if I stood still long enough that I would eventually become cutting edge!

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Actually this wouldn't be a bad idea given how much paper modern syllabusses consume. Plus the fumes from the spirit subdue the kids making class control easier.

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

What! And scrap all those lovely slide rules!!!

14. Ha some of the replies are hilarious well done! I trained using OHPs and blackboards...and i ain't old! I trained in Ireland 2003-2007!
    There are some good idea's in Gove's plans but i think my main conern is that, it happens, we all work hard to get used to it and then some other MP with fancy idea changes everything again! Gove needs to send a week in a school to see what it's really like and what impact all this may have!

15. Far too trendy, slates and chalk will be introduced from 2014. Think of the savings on paper and ink!

16. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>I agree totally all to often it appears that target are set
    that are so hard to miss it makes it pointless.
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>If it was normalised as it was way back in the 70&rsquo;s only 50%
    would get pass marks C and above. Then schools with less than 50% learners
    passing would be below average. Easy for all to see who are good and bad, employers
    would understand the grading better.
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>Okay some learners are less able and could do vocational
    subjects or CSEs this would reflect their ability.
    <font size="3">

In my day if you had 6 &ldquo;O Levels&rdquo; your were thought
    bright and 10 made you in the top 10%.
    I teach learners between 14 and 21 years old and regularly come across
    some who can&rsquo;t do long multiplication or struggle to read, one aged 17 had
    fourteen GCSEs how can this be!!! And that included Maths and English, low exam
    standards.</font>

17. I got 5 O levels, one at A and I was considered bright! It now sounds pathetic that I 'only' got 5 equivalents to a GCSE A* - C grade! ( I failed my domestic science, hence why not 6). My children got 11 good GCSEs each, which is probably more akin to 6 O levels in the '70s.

18. gliss

gliss New commenter

My husband failed his 11 plus, he was gutted, went to a rural secondary school and got 11 CSE GRADE 1's, he know runs a highly sucessful business. I on the other hand past my 11 plus, went to uni, got a masters and I do not earn the same wage. So what does this say about O levels? What I can say is that my husband felt that failing the 11 plus was the worst experience ever and he has felt a stigma because of this and even though he is successful he still does. Is this what we want young people to feel? I hate the thought bringing back O levels and I really think the Gove should be sacked.

19. Right, so your emotional bias towards your husbands inability to let
    go of a past exam he failed years ago is apparently a reasonable and
    logical argument as to why O Levels shouldn't be considered? I can see
    you didn't get a masters in Philosophy then.

Every year there are
    students that miss their grades for Uni. I'm sure they ball their eyes
    out. Tough. There's always next year. Or perhaps they should have
    studied harder or maybe found something more appropriate to do with
    their time. Your husband is a wonderful example of how it's not the end
    of the world if you fail an exam. I respect that they gave it a go.
    Lesson learned. Move on. Achieve something else in life.

All the
    same, life isn't about being 'fair' to the incompetent by helping them
    to feel ok about achieving mediocrity at the expense of depriving the
    gifted a chance at proving just how far they can excel given the chance.
    Is
    that what you'd rather? A nice fuzzy world of half wits holding hands?
    Or how about accepting that, y'know, elephants and fish can't climb
    trees, so lets take that monkey over there and give him a real tree to
    climb instead of all these ones that we've bent out of shape in trying
    to convince the elephant it can achieve something just so long as we
    drop the branch low enough.

Anyway, isn't it a little shallow to
    base your notion of success on your income? I don't really see why
    anyone would become a teacher for the money. Maybe for the holidays,
    maybe coz you actually give a $#*! about the future generations of our
    country... but definitely not the money.

Man up. On the face of
    it, O Levels are a step in the right direction. It just depends on
    whether there's any real difference to the interior or if they're just redecorating the outside.

20. Oh God! Michael Gove is the only member of the cabinet who isn't a class enemy. He knows that the old grammar school system gave a leg up to the working class and he knows that we are currently destroying our kids future with ideas such as "learning to learn" rather than just learning stuff, like every other country in the world, so he's come up with this rather half-***** idea. When, for the love of whoever are we ever going to accept that it's OK to teach academic courses to some kids and vocational ones to others? This is what happens in Germany (they seem to be doing OK) and most other countries. It doesn't have to be a left-right issue. You don't have to say oo-er all the kids with CATs scores of less than 85 or whatever aren't going to study literature so Gove must be a fascist.
    Schools are, unfortunately, not the engines of society, they are its mirrors. Poor old Govey, the state- school educated adopted kid who won a scholarship to a posh private school thinks he can give every bright kid the same sort of chances he got. He can't until we redistribute wealth in this country, abolish the independent schools and start treating everybody the same. That doesn't mean sending them to the same school - ask any German. The O-level/CSE debate is just angels dancing on pin-heads.