1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

By the end of the summer holidays I will......

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dunnocks, Jul 20, 2019.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

1) Have a clean and tidy house
    2) have cleared out the shed
    3) Have tidied the garden
    4) Have exercised 3 times a week
    5) Have lost a stone
    6) Have immaculate lessons plans for the Autumn term
    7) Have visited at least 3 elderly relatives
    8) Have sorted out my will and life insurance
    9) Have read at least 5 of the 10 books in my "must read" pile
    10) Have learnt to swim.

Anybody joining me?

it isn't compulsory to start today!

2. Easyasabc

Easyasabc Occasional commenter

Be happier
    Be lighter
    Be free of stress
    Be a new me..setting my boundaries

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Joining...No.:D

But I wish you luck.

dunnocks likes this.
  4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well...are you sure the 3 elderly relatives wont mind?

5. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I'm exhausted reading that. Full of admiration for you. But not for me.

6. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

It's an ambitious list, @dunnocks. I think I'd be pleased to achieve four of those things, let alone ten. Good luck.
    It occurs to me that in the Autumn - I think October or November - many solicitors take part in Make A Wil Month, when you can have your will drawn up for free. I believe you are meant to be inspired to make a donation to various charities, but you don't have to. We have done this and it saved a surprising amount of money. Everyone should have a will.
    Now I don't teach apart from a few days of supply here and there, I am working at my "main" job all summer. My ambition is to have enough work to make up for June when we were away and earned very little. And July so far isn't much better.:( And there are so many things we need...

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Am I allowed to be amused at the hamsterwheelery of stating the importance of a will to get rid of all your things properly, and in the same breath stating there are so many things you need?

mothorchid likes this.
  8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I used to get about twice as much done in the first week of the holidays as I did in the other 5 combined, good luck.

sabrinakat and Easyasabc like this.
  9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

:):):)
    You're right. It does come over unclearly.
    The things I need though, are things like a replacement carpet which is more than bare canvas backing, and a replacement iron which actually heats up, instead of a broken one. Unless I get more work this month, the iron will have to wait until September. The carpet has been waiting for four years. We simply can't afford it. Every time we think it's getting closer and we've saved up enough money, there is an unavoidable expense, like ground rent or service charges on something, which takes all the savings and we have to start again.
    Recently, I discovered that we are, in fact, officially "Poor" because our income is so low. (According to how the Joseph Rowntree Trust work it out)
    There is a difference between "need" and "want". I don't really want much stuff. I am a declutterer.

BertieBassett2 and cissy3 like this.
  10. colpee

colpee Star commenter

By the end of the summer holidays I will have.....

Paid some people to pave the garden and build a shed

Paid easyjet to fly me to the mediterranean

Paid a hotel to cater for my every whim for 10 days

Paid a chap on the beach to supply me with a sun bed and canopy

Have eaten and drank as much and as often as I choose - with someone else cooking and clearing up

Ironed a shirt ready for 1st day back to work

3658C6FE-B3D6-446F-829A-19B1E3B91074.gif

11. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

An impressive list Dunnocks. Good luck!

12. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Ambitious list! Mine is quite short.

1) Ideally have a decluttered and reasonably tidy house.

2) Learn how to fit the car seat/make my partner learn how to fit the car seat so he can show me once all the swearing is done.

3) Send out wedding invites so that his parents and mine can stop stressing even though it's more than a year away and everyone has been told when it is/advised to book hotels.

4) Rest! Lots of.

5) Give birth.

6) Stave off over-eager visitors. Unless they're going to be helpful and useful and let me rest.

Pretty much think any other plans go out of the window once the baby arrives! I think Number 1 is probably the least realistic. 5 will have to occur... And well, I suppose we best make sure we do 2 to avoid any awkward moments at the hospital but I'd like to get in quite a bit of 4.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Be well rested.

Be regretful that I didn't do all those uberproductive things that I thought I could do but turned out I couldn't.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  14. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

The ironing sounds excessive to me.

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I agree. Just buy a new one.

colpee and primarycat like this.
  16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

1. Be retired!!!!!
    2. Will have clean house.
    3. Will have been taught by top class rider of Spanish horses and will be doing good things on my beautiful Spanish horse.
    4. Will have wardrobe sort out and dumped all 'work' clothes
    5. Will have big smile on my face!
    6. Will never have to set alarm again!

17. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

That’s very ambitious Dunnocks, doesn’t sound like a holiday to me, it sounds more like boot camp!
    My plan is to work right up until the evening of the 31st July, getting organised as much as possible, then do absolutely nothing to do with school for the whole of August. And only think about it again on 1st September!

18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

..be on holiday.

Got a couple of walks to do before then - everything else is odd jobs and piddly bits. Most of the projects I had planned for this year are already done or nearly done, but I'm not a full-time teacher. It was a busy winter for sure.

@dunnocks - another one for your list, learning how to feed from a bird feeder, and not just hopping about on the ground. One of your clan has learned that trick in our garden over the last few weeks. :)

19. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

The first thing I did on the weekend after my retirement was to throw out all my work jackets, shirts and ties (they weren't even good enough for the charity shop) and I cut the legs off my work trousers so I could wear them as shorts when I did dirty jobs like gardening.

20. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I thought that until we got roped into caring for our 3 year old grandson two days a week - but I love it really!