1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying second hand cars.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jacob, Jul 1, 2015.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Is it just me or has the price of second hand cars rocketed?

Whereas I would be looking at quality marques about ten years old for less than two grand, there are many at over three. The niggles I see in these older cars are usually not mechanical, but electronic, but as a devotee of "bangernomics" I have no wish to get stung. The prices of these quality marques (like Jags, BMWs, Audis, Lexus, Subaru, Mercedes) seem to be astronomical at about eight years old with asking prices of seven grand plus. My experience with these is that you begin to get the little electrical faults in components that are inaccessible, untraceable, of embedded in some other system, and basically impossible for the inveterate fettler. You can get a new car for seven grand (admittedly a Dacia, but they are actually pretty good and selling like the proverbial). I do not want to fork out a large sum for something I may not like after a couple of months as I have to get comfy (age) and need leg room (tall).

Please do not suggest your favourite vehicle, I am a fussy old git and know what I like.

2. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I know you don't like my Toyota Yaris :(

3. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Of necessity, we practised 'bangeromics' until about ten years ago.. Our fortunes in this changed when we graduated form 'down-market bangeromics' (sh*tty old rust buckets like BL cars), to the 'up market' variety when, on a friend's recommendation, we got an old Volvo. We had two of them, each of which was about ten years old; and we kept for about eight or nine years. They are very comfortable to drive, nothing ever went wrong with them other than the sort of minor electrical problems already mentioned, all of which I managed to 'bodge'. Genuine Volvo spares are expensive but most consumable ones have cheaper alternatives.

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Old Volvos did that, I am not sure if more recent Volvos have better electrics than anybody else. As they were gobbled up by Ford I suspect their standards, quality control, and component tendering will be just as crappy as Ford. There is no bodging (as said) on much of the modern stuff.

I am on "suck it and see" with the Jag at the moment waiting for the next glitch. The last one was flashing lights, message saying "engine fault" then "gearbox fault", drive to gearbox was cut, and engine raced. I stopped, switched off, and restarted and everything was normal, and it has not done it since! As it is a 3.0 litre, goes like stink (when required) and still gives 35mpg, I am somewhat reluctant to get rid, but worried about the next gremlin. And it does not double the fuel consumption or drive 5mph slower when you put the air con on.

5. tidal

tidal New commenter

I'm afraid I cannot help Jacob as from previous experience I know our tastes in cars differ wildly

6. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@Jacob: I take your point about older Volvos as the two we had were an 84 360GLS and 95 440. The former of these only went to the scrapyard when the petrol tank started leaking around its seam, so beyond economic repair, while the latter, although a bit rusty around the wheel arches, was going strong until someone smacked into the doorpost, in a car park. We traded it in under the Scappage scheme.

I hope the 'light show' on you Jag is nothing serious. Perhaps its nothing more than a poor connection to the EMS. My wife had a new Kia Picanto, which did all sorts of strange things: windows would wind down half way for no reason, windscreen wipers and the power steering would go on and off, etc. I turned out to be a loose connection to some black box or other.

7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

"New car sales rose to a record first-half high as buyers took advantage of finance deals and low interest rates to purchase the latest models.

Registrations rose 7% to 1.38m in the first six months of the year, marking the 40th month in a row of rising sales, the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) said on Monday. The figure was 324 higher than the previous record in the first half of 2004. In June, sales rose 12.9% to 257,817 vehicles.

Car sales rose even while the economy was in the doldrums and living standards fell as manufacturers offered deals that allowed buyers to lease cars and then trade them in. The SMMT said those deals combined with new, improved models had kept demand high.

First-half sales of British-built cars were the strongest for five years, with one in six buyers opting for such vehicles. The UK-built Vauxhall Astra, Nissan Qashqai and Mini were among the overall top 10 sellers.

Mike Hawes, SMMT’s chief executive, said: “It is encouraging to see more consumers choosing British models. This is important for the wider economy with 799,000 people now employed across the UK automotive sector, including retail.”

Manufacturers including Honda and Jaguar Land Rover announced more than £1bn of investment in the UK car industry in March after 2014 proved to be the sector’s best year since the financial crisis.

A larger range of models and a greater number of plug-in charge points helped push sales of such vehicles up 71% in June to 7,110. A £5,000-a-car government grant to encourage sales of electric vehicles has almost reached its limit of 50,000, the SMMT said. There had also been a surge in demand for electric and hybrid vehicles.

The top seller in the first half of 2015 was the perennially popular Ford Fiesta, followed by the Vauxhall Corsa and the Ford Focus. Hawes said he expected overall sales growth to be weaker in the second half of the year as the market slipped back closer to its normal rate.

Howard Archer, an economist at IHS Global Insight, said: “June’s gain is all the more impressive as the gains are now coming from a high base. The car industry will be hoping that there is no major fallout from events in Greece that weighs down appreciably on business and consumer confidence and foster caution over buying big ticket items such as cars.” This from today's Guardian.

I don't understand this. New cars are overpriced, depreciate like falling rocks, and the best-selling ones quoted (Fiesta, Corsa) consistently come near the bottom of reliability surveys. Poky crappy euroboxes are not my cup of tea at all.

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

harping on again...

What is so special about the previous owner of a car? You get these adverts saying "Lady owner" or "Doctor owner". A GPs car would probably have done lots of short journey between calls and likely to be a bit knackered because of that. Why would a "lady owner" car be better, than a "man owner", without making any sexist stereotypical comments?