1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying new staff laptops

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by impulce, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Ive not been ICT coordinator for very long, but we are in desperate need of some new staff laptops this year.
    Im just after a bit of advice on the process. I will contact my LEA ict support to ask about quotes and sourcing for them so that side of it is not a problem, but I have a few questions to anybody more knowledgable!
    Are there any funds etc available for this kind of thing? Do schools usually pay for this kind of thing from the ICT budget, or from a seperate source? I know harnessing technology funding has stopped.
    Im concerned that if we spend the ICT budget on staff laptops (which it might just cover), by next year we'll need to replace pupil laptops(which it definately wouldnt cover), and our ICT suite computers etc and we're never going to have any money for things like digicams or control equipment as replacing old machines is a never ending cycle!
    Also, do your jobshare teachers have one laptop each or do they share? We currently have a jobshare with one laptop each, and the nursery have a new jobshare who is now angling for her own laptop too. I dont think its too much to ask that they work on their own computers at home and share the laptop which is left at school, but wondered how other schools do it.
    Next question - is the school automatically insured for teachers to use laptops at home, or is this something that needs to be arranged with every new purchase of staff laptops?
    We are without a headteacher at the moment (and could be for a while) so I am going into this a bit blindly!

2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If your budget's limited you might want to consider looking for refurbished laptops, typically warranty returns that have been fixed then have another 12 months' guarantee added, and which cost a lot less than brand new items.

Take a look in this week's TES - they've got a very useful supplement on ICT buying and resourcing in hard times.

Also, look beyond hardware costs - can you make savings on software licencing, printer refills, printing, those sort of things? The number of schools I work in where used printer cartridges are piled up in a binbag in the office is unbelievable. They happily pay £40+ for new ones when they could be refilled for a fiver.

3. madcat

madcat Occasional commenter

Nowadays there seems to be an expectation amongst staff that they are somehow entitled to a laptop. This is often driven by TT colleges, offspring, spouses etc. Indeed we had a young lady on interview last year who stated that if she didn't get a high spec laptop she would seek employment elsewhere- we said 'go ahead'
    I always say to staff that staff laptops are provided once the needs of the students/school have been met.
    So, in years where the budget is generous then staff get laptops based on need/means - NQTS come first and heads come last.
    In leaner years staff have to do without or make do and mend - 2nd hand/refurbed machines etc.
    With the new government I would think that those leaner years will become the norm.
    Interestingly I find that the fact that I don't have a school supplied laptop (I would not make good use of it) really does help to deflate those who bluster on about how they can't work without one, it is their god given right to have one etc. etc. etc.

4. It annoys me too madcat.
    Its not the schools fault that some staff dont have a computer at home and consequently they rely too heavily on their school laptop.
    I could live without mine if it werent for the smartboard - all I use it for is hooking up to that. All my planning etc is done on my home laptop then stored on memory stick. All my printing etc is done in the ICT suits on one of those machines.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I personally hate laptops and only use them as a last resort. You might make some savings by asking if other staff think like me. I used to have a workstation linked to my projector in my classroom - the laptop was just a waste of space and money.

Maybe the answer for laptop sceptics is to buy them a £60-70 portable USB HDD instead?

6. Memory sticks suffice I think! I think most of the staff at my school do like their laptops, and alot take them home...I think im the only one that doesn't to be honest.
    Are there any schemes etc that we can bid into to get some funding towards ICT equipment now that harnessing technologys has gone?

7. Memory sticks suffice I think! I think most of the staff at my school do like their laptops, and alot take them home...I think im the only one that doesn't to be honest.
    Are there any schemes etc that we can bid into to get some funding towards ICT equipment now that harnessing technologys has gone?