1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying new pillows

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jun 15, 2019.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well if it wasn't for the fact that I know you (possibly) grew up in a council house, I'd probably get a bit judgy about that.
    For us if it wasn't for switching from Lidl croissants to midnight skip raids at the back of Waitrose, we wouldn't have been able to afford this-
    [​IMG]

Not that it's a competition or anything.

colpee likes this.
  2. rmr09

rmr09 New commenter

Tkmaxx always have good brands of bedding.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Ezekiel 13:20

Wherefore thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against your pillows,

I never have been able to work that one out!

4. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Have you tried this?

My nearest Waitrose is a bit too far for me to try it on the off chance, but I'll have a go if there are returns to be had.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

No, I have not tried this. I am too short to see into a skip and really not very good at clambering. Luckily we grow enough food to not mind being poor.
    Until about five years ago, skip raiding at the back of supermarkets in the night was a viable albeit felonious way of feeding yourself,and despite the criminality of it,I expect those that did it were driven to by poverty more than opportunism.
    Most supermarkets now will transport away swiftly their discarded food stuff immediately at the end of the day.I cannot quite decide if it is to prevent trespass and associated damage, or whether they are busy profiteering from it by garnering the public image they get from "Poor House Donations" (such as Waitrose do), or by selling it on to Short Dated Outlets (such as Sainsburys do).
    Our local Waitrose give away their baked goods at the end of the day if they have not sold by 15 mins before closing. I think that's a bit unusual though,and I expect they wont do it for much longer because word gets round. Last week was already one loaf to five thousand; this sort of scenario is most likely where the term "bun fight" originated. There's nothing more fractious than a Waitrose full of desperados.

(Meanwhile someplace else, the till in that pillow shop is eating those fifties...)

Scintillant likes this.