1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying new pillows

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jun 15, 2019.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

My old feather pillows need replacing. I have bought cheap and nasty feather pillows in the past and don't want to do that again. Might just go for synthetic fillings but could do with a recommendation. I like soft pillows and don't want ones that are so big they hardly squeeze into a standard pillow case - another mistake I've made in the past. Any ideas. Don't want to spend a fortune but I suppose £30 - £50 each would be OK.

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Go to John Lewis for hands-on (or heads-on?) comparisons.

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Dunelm Mill have a decent range you can prod and squeeze too.

Ivartheboneless likes this.
  4. Nebka

Nebka New commenter

IKEA sells a good range and they also sell big size ie continental format.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

M&s feather and down are nice, and come in different fullnesses. They're £20 each I think. And we got nice ones at John Lewis. Just make sure you go to a big enough branch as they often don't have the full range which is annoying. M&s ones wash really well.

lindenlea and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I can't do feather but I prefer memory foam. Not everyone's taste but they keep their shape well over many years so to me are well worth it.
    I prefer a bit of firmness rather than baggy and floppy.

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

It's so much down to taste. I can't bear memory foam pillows, even though I love my mattress. The pillows area so unyielding! I like a fat feather pillow I can squash.

lindenlea likes this.
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

John Lewis Siberian Goose Feather and Down: £30 but well worth it.

nizebaby and lindenlea like this.
  9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh I miss Handforth Dean M and S. I've ordered some pillowcases - plain white Egyptian cotton 230 thread, supposed to be non iron. I've just ordered one standard and one Oxford to see what they're like so I'll have a look at their pillows too, although the home department is virtually non existent at our local branch. I could go to John Lewis, in fact, I probably will. I don't like Dunelm and there isn't one very close by. We're extending a downstairs room to become our bedroom - at the moment we're in a pretty but small room that was put into the loft conversion by the previous people. The room we want to use isn't big enough for a double room so we're paying a small fortune to extend it a bit. It'll be worth it though. Everyone wants a downstairs bedroom and bathroom round here. Its the geriatric demographic :)

catmother and emerald52 like this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I wanted to add I am probably in all honesty slightly bitter about the fact of somebody considering a spend of up to fifty quid on a pillow, but I reckon that's just inviting further posts about how "Actually I grew up in a council house you know" or "You know nothing, least of all how I actually go to Lidl for my croissants"

Duke of York likes this.
  11. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Can't have feather pillows in my house due to allergies. I used to by mid range pillows which were supposed to be washable but only in a commercial machine I discovered. I now buy inexpensive pillows, think I've got M and Co at the moment, which I cover with a good pillow protector and when they are past their best I recycle and then buy new ones.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Don't we all?? :oops:

I'll get me coat!! :D

Jamvic, cissy3 and ROSIEGIRL like this.
  13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

As a kid I grew up with foam filled pillows, but I couldn't suffer them these days. Only feather-filled pollows are able to soothe my aching head enough to help me drift off into slumber. That and tuning the Internet wireless into an episode of In Our Time, a programme I enjoy listening to, but in the early hours find the contributors who follow Melvin Bragg's introducion, sufficientlt soporiphic to send me off to sleep.

But I have a warning to give to those who have both feather pillows and a Jack Russel terriorist.

The dog will never be happy until it has strewn the feathers throughout the house and you will never be happy until you've beaten the dog to within an inch of its life to prevent it doing it twice,

I'm joking about that last sentence. The dog just has to understand that you ain't happy about it and he wouldn't want to try it twice. Jack Russells are quicker learners than they make out.

I think the difference between training a dog and a student, is that although you don't have to beat a dog to train it; and I've never felt the need to, is that dogs know you could if you wanted to do so, whereas students know you'd get locked up if you even dared suggest it.

What might we learn from this as we turn off the bedside lamp and try to make ourselves comfortable enough to await the Sandman's visit?

14. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

My old m&s feather and down pillow finally bit the dust a few months ago and I decided to treat myself to a ridiculously expensive feather one, hoping that it would improve my growing insomnia. It didn't, and was SO uncomfortable. I persevered for a week ... it's now in the spare room and I've got a new lovely m&S feather and down pillow!

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

If I was honest about how long I've had the old ones, the idea of spending that much on a new one would seem less economically reckless.

16. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

£50 for a pillow!!

catmother, nomad and sbkrobson like this.
  17. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I know!
    I'd get a better night's sleep with my head on a fifty pound note, that's for sure.

Edit-actually, five tens'd do it too. Better neck support.

bajan likes this.
  18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Dunelm Mill is where I always go. They have a good range and you can give them a squeeze and thump. Not cheapest, but good choice. I don't know as I'd pay 50 quid, but sleep and neck posture are important. Do you want to walk round like Quasimodo for the sake of a few quid if your perfect pillow would be a bit expensive?

19. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As I can't stand big fluffy pillows and only sleep with one pillow I tend to buy whatever is around. Don't like feathers of foam but the firmness of the feel is the important issue for me!
    Sorry i cant recommend any but i buy as and when.

20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

w
    You may mock, but by merely switching from Fortnum and Mason to Lidl for essentials such as our favourite Gruyere and red onion focaccia ,we have been able to save the difference and buy one of these.

5F4DB9DC-2488-43A2-BA8E-D70B6316429C.jpeg

The Tailormade Pillow Gold Edition features a memory foam core that is milled using robotic machines, hand-sticked Mulberry silk, Egyptian cotton, and 24-carat gold cover, developed with the Royal Textile Museum in Tilburg. The zipper even features a 22.5-carat sapphire and four diamonds. On sale for only £44,171

sbkrobson likes this.