1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying New Books

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Jan 22, 2011.

1. The Kindle (or other ereader) screen is not like a computer or smartphone screen. It feels like reading a page. I thought I loved the papery element of books but aside from a few special editions it turns out it's the story that counts.

2. To me that is like saying , "whilst making love it is the ejaculation that counts."

3. Bit of a book fetishist, are you? I ran a 2nd hand bookshop for a while and it cured me of any thoughts about the sacred nature of books. quite apart from that, I don't think there's much magic in many modern day mass market paperbacks.

4. Modern day mass market paperbacks have absolutely no magic....but a 1960s version of something like " A kind of Loving" eg. is evocative of everything about the story, the era and the history.

5. Not to me it doesn't. It feels like I have some hard metal thing in my hand with a ...screen.
    You can't bend it like you can bend a book.

6. Yes, but having already (twice) moved to a bigger house to ensure my book collection isn't preventing me moving from one room to the next, I see very real advantages to the kindle! CQ, I just meant the actual screen is different to a computer screen - it looks like a page rather than a screen.

7. and you call me a book fetishist? :¬))

8. It's the words I like. While they were on paper I collected paper but now I have other options!

9. Yes, I know. But to me, it is not a page.

10. I can see what you are saying ,airy. What is more important , the binding or the story. ? That depends on , who gave you the book , the story of how you came by the book or perhaps even the history of the actual copy of the book you have in your hand.

11. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Which is why I'm happy to use both. I love books and have the lack of space to prove it (I've moved three bookcases in the last few days to try to get my home a little tidier), however some books I'm quite happy to have on my kindle. I still buy paper books because I find it difficult to resist them and also because not all the books I want are available on the kindle as yet.

12. Doglover

Doglover Occasional commenter

Only getting back to this thread as I have been reading a book all day,lol!
    I wouldn't like a kindle, as I just can't imagine curling up with like a book - it's not so bendy, lol.
    I don't like the smell of old books at all. It lingers in yournose and mouth for ages after you have smelt it, and makes me feel weird.
    I couldn't even eat, if there was an old book around, and would definitely not be able to touch it. But then most people know by now, how weird I am!

13. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I had a kindle for christmas and no real books or tokens....I was gutted. I think I'm the only person on the planet who owns a kindle and doesn't particularly like it.
    See, I hate shopping, unless it's for books. When I enter Waterstones it is, at the very least, a 20 minute visit.
    So I have a gadget that will not get used and a longing for more books, though I have loads already I still have to read.
    BTW I refuse point blank to pay for a "book" to be delivered to my kindle when I will never own it. I will go and buy the REAL book thank you very much!xx
    [​IMG]

14. 20 minutes ... Lightweight

15. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

<u>at the very least</u>, a 20 minute visit. Normally when the hub is with me!

I have, on my longer stints been followed by store detectives, I recognise them now.xx
    [​IMG]

16. I love new clean books and seldom read anything second hand. I recently bought a second hand copy of The Camomile Lawn from Amazon though because I had series linked a repeat showing of it on TV and then found that I had missed the first episode. I still have 2 Christmas present books to read and over 60 books I have downloaded on my new Kindle. I find that is like having my own mini library, with lots of old favourites, but all fresh and clean. I have only spent around &pound;12 so far, so think it is good value. I think there is a place for both. At least it will stop our house overflowing with books. Nobody seems to want to take them off us - when we pass them on people always seem to want to hand them back after reading.
    As to old books - I hate the smell and unknown stains. Yuck!

17. Fair enough

Have they still got tables and chairs in yours .... I am sure I was the reason they were removed in mine

18. Love books. Old books new books, I couldn't be without.
    I like the sound of the 'Kindle' but as I've never seen one, don't know how it works and am the worlds worst technophobe perhaps I should steer clear.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm about to find out. A friend ordered a Kindle from Amazon but got two (charged for both). Originally he was going to give the second one to his mother in law but gave it to me instead.
    I'll need to change the account name on it though - I ordered a book by accident (clicked on the wrong button) and had to cancel it quick style because it was charged to him.
    I railed against the whole concept but I looked at the archived books and was quite surprised that the appearance wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and I can see some advantages.
    My biggest worry about them is for the existence of book shops. ...and I do love book shops - I daren't go in one if I'm skint.

20. Oh Seren, I know that pain. Went to Trafford Centre today with a friend. We were only taking her computer to Apple store for repair, both skint and what did we do, just a liitle look in Waterstones. the agony.
    Plus I had my grandson with me and couldn't buy childrens books. Double agony.