1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying New Books

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Jan 22, 2011.

1. I have to confess to having a bit of a thing about buying new books. There is just something about having a little pile of lovely, untouched books to delve into. I rarely seem to be able to buy just one book at a time.
    Amazon had some wonderful offers on this week, and I was able to buy 3 (including a hardback) for about £14.
    I also have to confess though, that I don't always read all of the new books I buy. I can usually tell after the first few lines, whether or not I am going to like the book, and reluctantly abandon it, if I don't take to it.
    I have little piles of books all round the house at the moment, which are driving my husband insane, but they bring me great comfort to look at, lol.
    I think I am becoming more and more strange as I get older :s

2. I have to confess to having a bit of a thing about buying new books. There is just something about having a little pile of lovely, untouched books to delve into. I rarely seem to be able to buy just one book at a time.
    Amazon had some wonderful offers on this week, and I was able to buy 3 (including a hardback) for about £14.
    I also have to confess though, that I don't always read all of the new books I buy. I can usually tell after the first few lines, whether or not I am going to like the book, and reluctantly abandon it, if I don't take to it.
    I have little piles of books all round the house at the moment, which are driving my husband insane, but they bring me great comfort to look at, lol.
    I think I am becoming more and more strange as I get older :s

3. Lol...you are a bookaholic.

I prefer a pile of old books. Old books have a history and smell all of their own....who has read then?...what events have they lived through?.....

4. I can never just buy one book either, doglover.
    Usually two or three at a time at least.
    I have them perched in little piles, too. They can't go on the bookshelves, as only read books can go on the bookshelves and then I have to rearrange my system to fit them in otherwise it is all wrong.

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

QI were saying the other day that the smell of old books can be a hallucinogenic fungus. Explains a lot!

6. Have you read "Howard's End is on the landing" by Susan hill?

It is about her re-reading books in her house and recalling her life through the books

7. That's me off to the Bodleian then, man...far out. :¬))

8. When I buy in a bookshop, I always try reading the first page. If that doesn't interest me, I don't buy.
    I agree it's more thrilling to buy books in little piles than one at a time. I think it's my favourite part of preparing for holidays, going shopping for the holiday reading.

9. No , sorry RF..I've never had the pleasure of Howard's end on the landing.

10. TuTInnuendo, innuendo why do I bother *sigh*

11. Like my old world atlas, that is covered in brown paper. Tucked within is a pre-wartime propaganda leaflet about the wisdom of defending czechoslovakia. And the german flag is a swastika. (shivers down spine)
    I also like the hand-written messages in the front of many of my old books.
    (perhaps I'm just under the influence of the hallucinogenics as mentioned by bs!)

12. One of my life's greatest pleasure - spending my book tokens. Wandering round the bookshop, holding a pile of books; adding, discarding until I have 4,5,6 however much i have to spend and then taking them home and flicking through them deliberating over which one to read first. Piles of books by the sofa, piles of books by the bed. Pure joy.

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

lol [​IMG]
    Well, today must be my quote John Berger day.
    “When we read a story, we inhabit it. The covers of the book are like a roof and four walls. What is to happen next will take place within the four walls of the story. And this is possible because the story's voice makes everything its own.”
    It's so thrilling to have lots of wee houses to roam around in, especially when you can stay tucked up in bed to do so.

14. I find that if I have a pile of books vying for my attention, I tend to flit from one to the other and end up getting into none of them.

15. [​IMG] I'm glad!

16. Thanks to this thread I've ditched my worthy plans for the day. I've just made a cup of coffee and am about to curl up on the sofa with a book.

17. haha!
    I was considering doing a bit of cleaning and some ironing but I was just thinking "oooooh, you could do with a nice soak in the bath with a good book..."

18. Is all the sensual pleasure of a paper book to be replaced by the "Kindle" ? As an embracer of technology, I bloody well hope not.

19. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Me too.

20. Nope.
    I love paper and reading from it.
    I still print out stuff on my work computer (even though we have that standard email signature "think before you print").
    I find reading from a screen very difficult.