1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying houses in Scotland

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lamaddalena, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Sprog made an offer last week in a closed bid and it was out bid. It all sounds a bit fishy how quick it all was? He is cross with solicitor for persuading them to bid lower than they needed to.
    I telephoned agency today as they don't know me and they said it was definitely still on the market. This is one of those express agencies.
    Would you go back to the seller?
    Thank you for spending your holiday time reading this but I know what good advice you get on here.

2. Sprog made an offer last week in a closed bid and it was out bid. It all sounds a bit fishy how quick it all was? He is cross with solicitor for persuading them to bid lower than they needed to.
    I telephoned agency today as they don't know me and they said it was definitely still on the market. This is one of those express agencies.
    Would you go back to the seller?
    Thank you for spending your holiday time reading this but I know what good advice you get on here.

3. Was it outbid or was it not high enough for the sellers liking?
    I had a phonecall telling me an offer hadn't been accepted 15 minutes after making it. The seller wanted more.
    If it is still on the market, then there is no reason why they can't make another, higher bid.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Once the time has passed for a closed bid it is quick. Even if your son/daughter was outbid it is possible that the vendor hasn't accepted any of the bids and that is back on the market.
    To be honest I much prefer fixed price sales and when I sell my flat it will be for a fixed price - less hassle for all involved.

5. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Indeed. I think around 12ish is when it's set and the winner and the losers are phoned after that. It is annoying when you get the losing phone call from your solicitor as you always feel that they did not advise you well. I would much prefer a house had a fixed price tag like an item in a shop and I can decide if I can afford it or not.

6. Thank you all. Will wait and see what they do.

7. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Senior commenter

It's not likely to be taken off the market until the sale's finalised and the missives have been signed - a date for this is usually agreed when the offer's accepted. The 'for sale' sign and the property centre ads usually have 'under offer' written over them. I doubt if other offers would be considered after the closing date unless the first sale fell through.