1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying first house

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dogcat, Jul 19, 2011.

1. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

All very exciting and scary! I will have used up every ounce of my savings once deposit and fees are paid for. And that is with a 5% deposit only and solicitor contacts that have reduced costs!
    Offer has been accepted, mortage application is in, solicitors organised. Now I just have to wait and see!
    Very nervous about doing it all myself, have a spreadsheet with all of my costs on, but it is still terrifying!

2. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

All very exciting and scary! I will have used up every ounce of my savings once deposit and fees are paid for. And that is with a 5% deposit only and solicitor contacts that have reduced costs!
    Offer has been accepted, mortage application is in, solicitors organised. Now I just have to wait and see!
    Very nervous about doing it all myself, have a spreadsheet with all of my costs on, but it is still terrifying!

3. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

It is a very exciting thing to do Dogcat. Like you, when i bought my first home, I used every penny I had. I couldn't afford any furniture other than a bed so made do with cardboard boxes with cloths on as side tables for ages. Fortunately the previous owner had abandoned a wardrobe and old fridge which kept me going for ages. To help ease money stress, would it be possible to get a lodger once you are settled as it really makes a difference?

4. I love those stories about using cardboard boxes as tables and planks of wood held up on bricks as shelves. Ah, those were the days...
    Dogcat - see what you can get off Freecycle, people are very generous.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

they were actually true stories...oal out furniture but the bed and mattress was secondhand and yes we did ;improvise for shelves ...........carpet came from skip ot some one throwing it out.the chairs where deck chairs from neighbour..shelves where planks and the bedside cabinets wooden orange boxes. wardrode was cast off and so was set of drawers and plate where her mothers dicards..we were skint after paying the mortgate...now im tryig to get rid of the junk we seem to have accumulated.
    Teachers wage then was £3000 a year and was considered a good wage.....now i couldnt buy the house if they paid me the full london allowance of £35000 plus.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

dam missed the edit/[​IMG]

7. I bought my first house earlier this year - it's a wonderful feeling. Its been a few months since we moved in and I still sometimes walk up the drive and think "This is MINE!".
    I also love it when asked my address, and especially when you fill in forms, it asks for your living status and you can tick "homeowner"!

8. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Well all I can do now is wait. Paid for my searches and everything today, go on holiday next week. Hopefully upon my return it will have moved forward.

Really hope it goes through, and in time for before start of new term to give me time to settle in and get everything set up. It's going to be a frugel summer in case it does all go through!

9. Sorry to put a dampner on that statement, but it isn't yours until the mortgage is paid. If you ru out of money next year, the mortgage company will relieve you of "your" home and then sell it off and you will still owe them the difference between what yhey can get for it and what you still have outstanding on the mortgage...

Unless, of course, you bought it without HP.

cyolba, the tunnel at the end of the lights :)

10. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

Thanks for that Cybola!
    The ways the fees are stacking up I am going to have nothing left of my savings to even buy a plate. let alone the fridge, washing machine and sofa I need [​IMG]

11. MayKasahara

MayKasahara New commenter

Start letting people know now that you're likely to need stuff, my cousin has got himself two sofas a fridge and a washing machine through a friend of a friend who was clearing a house out. Nearer the time you could also look at Freecycle.

12. dogcat

dogcat New commenter

I have started on freegle for the fridge. Hoping to be able to get sofa on credit, with nothing to pay first year. I have a bed and wardrobes, plenty of storage space up stairs.
    Just such an expensive process, feel like I should have waited and saved for a few more months!