1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

buying bottled water

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nizebaby, Jul 16, 2019.

1. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

We are in the Manche area of Normandy - forty miles or so south east of Jersey. The water here is lovely, yet people still waste money on bottled water. Why?

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I shall ask them.

knitone likes this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Transporting bottles of water around the planet is one one the most environmentally reprehensible behaviours of modern times.

IMO.

4. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I absolutely agree. Of course, you do know what evian is when spelt backwards.

5. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Drives me mad.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Ah you Eeengleesh, you come to our country takeeng ze pees wiz you waterr. Ere in Francais eet ees ze tradition, no, like ze Champagne and ze Beaojolais nouvea. Don't geev me ze stuff about Henri Cinq et Agincourt, he was after ze Evian.
    (Delivered in cod John Cleese terrible French accent).

agathamorse and nomad like this.
  7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Stuck in the 1960s when we were all warned not to drink the water in those Johnny Foreigner countries.
    Oh no wait a minute..... that's what the Brexiters say......

jellycowfish and magic surf bus like this.
  8. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

I've never understood this behaviour. Surely with the damage to the environment those who feel the need to be constantly sipping at water should be able to buy it in an can that is easily recycled or paper carton that will degrade.

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

It's my french neighboursI I intend to ask.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Nope, not Brexiteers. It was told to me as a child when Brexitieers didn't exist! The reason for potable water lies in the lack of control in the standards of the quality of the water and has stuck. Bottled water is convenient when you're touring, and they are happy to make a profit selling you bottled water,.
    Even people here buy large quantities of bottled water when our potable water is quite safe to drink. They even import it from Turkey according to the labelled bottles in my corner shop.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

So thank goodness for Europe-wide EU directives on water quality that ensure their domestic tap water supply is safe to drink.

"Don't drink the water" may still apply in the third world, but not in Europe. Yes there are some taps marked non potable on campsites for loo cassette flushing and the like, but the rest's OK.

12. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Or free at waterfountains like in the 70s, they were strategically placed where you might need them, in parks etc where activity might leave you dehydrated... No recycling needed.

13. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

Absolutely.

needabreak and agathamorse like this.
  14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Yet France consumes about 2.5 times more bottled water than the UK. Extraordinary..

15. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

The power of marketing. Don't you know my water will hydrate you better than our leading competitor's?

16. blue451

blue451 Established commenter

Use a refillable bottle and drink tap water.

In very many airports around the word three are drinking water points where you can top up once past security.

I've yet to see one in a UK airport.

Marshall and needabreak like this.
  17. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Heathrow and Gatwick have lots of them.

ilovesooty and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Although it was, in fact, the authorities in those countries which ordered that signs be put on taps that supplied water unsuitable for drinking:
    upload_2019-7-16_9-22-25.jpeg
    The reason was simply that many continental cities installed dual water systems in the 19th century - one to supply a single tap with relatively expensive treated water suitable for drinking, and the other to suppl much cheaper untreated water to multiple taps for washing, cleaning and flushing.

The dual system (planned by Baron Haussmann) is still in use in Paris, with the non-potable network no longer connected to houses or hotels, but still in use for washing down the gutters every night and for supplying fire hydrants.
    [​IMG]

19. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I like sparkling water.
    I'd never buy still water.
    Having said that I don't buy it often and always in glass bottles.

20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

1L of bottled water has a carbon footprint of 165.6g.
    https://sciencing.com/carbon-footprint-plastic-bottle-12307187.html

1L of tap water has a carbon footprint of 0.298g.
    https://www.treehugger.com/green-food/carbon-footprint-of-tap-water.html

Bottled water contains far more bacteria than tap water.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/he...er-contains-more-bacteria-than-tap-water.html
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10728111

Then there's the leaching of plastic chemicals from bottles to the water, the disposal of the bottles leading often to littering and micro-plastic generation.

It's a madness that is driven largely by vanity. People imagine that they deserve the "best" a special bottle of "nice" water just for themselves with a label that makes them feel good about their choice. Then there's the idiocy of walking along carrying a bottle of water to show you are serious about hydrating. I find it hard to take an adult seriously when they have to pause and have a tiny sip from a bottle of water they are carrying, like some little act of self comfort.

Humbug!