1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying books, a tradition for the newborns, help please.xx

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Phoenixchild, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Hi, I know this is probably going to sound soppy, tough, I am! BUT, when my first nephew was born I bought him the book "Guess how much I love you" and inscribed it with love.
    When my second nephew was born I bought him a lovely picture book about a rabbit who didn't want to go to bed...can't remember the title and it's bugging me! Anyone who knows I'd be grateful.
    Anyway, my sis has recently given birth to my 3rd nephew and asked me to carry on the rabbit theme.......don't even joke about it! So does anyone know of any lovely books I could buy for the little gorgeous one?
    PS. My brother's wife is pregnant also with a boy, I'm planning on avoiding rabbits here so any other suggestions would also be welcome.xx
    [​IMG]

2. anon468

anon468 New commenter

It's probably not age appropriate, but The Velveteen Rabbit is just wonderful.
    *sniffle*

3. You could start a Beatrice Potter collection by getting The Tale of Peter Rabbit.

4. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Aww, we have this for our son, I love it! Oh, and it's a hare not a rabbit [​IMG]
    What about a Beatrix Potter book, a Peter Rabbit one?
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar? That's a good first book. My son absolutely loves "The Gruffalo", and most of the other books by the same author. Also "The Tiger Who Came to Tea" is a classic!!

5. My son lloves this one when he was a baby

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hug-Jez-Alborough/dp/0744582733/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1297626934&sr=8-2

6. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ten-Bed-Counting-David-Ellwand/dp/1929766491/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297626986&sr=1-7

and this one

7. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Dear Zoo and Owl Babies both come in board books. I know they're not about rabbits but they are lovely stories.

8. The Gruffalo was always a favourite in our house. My kids could recite it from memory when they were little. As could I.
    Can't think of ant books about rabbits that haven't already been mentioned. Sorry.

9. What a lovely auntie - I love the idea that you've created a family tradition! I loved the Velveteen Rabbit - this thread has just reminded me about it and I'm going to get it for my son x

10. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

11. Watership Down.
    BOO hoo.

12. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Haha so can I! And "The Gruffalo's Child".
    Watership Down.....very sad! I used to have pet rabbits as a kid.

13. Pity it has to be a rabbit; Pumpkin Soup is one of my favourites (Helen Cooper) but it's a cat, a squirrel and a duck.
    Also Lullabyhullabaloo (Mick Inkpen). Absolutely love that!

14. perriwinkle

perriwinkle New commenter

Bunny My Honey by Anita Jeram (who also wrote 'Guess how much I love you?')

There are a couple of other 'honey' books too, but can't recall titles just now......too late MUST go to bed x

15. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

16. impis

impis New commenter

I bought my newborn granddaughter a few newspapers - some posh, and some trashy - on the day she was born.
    I intend to put them into a nice presentation box, and give them to her on her 18th birthday.
    I must also keep reminding myself what they are and that they're not to be chucked out or used to line the chicken coup
    Not known for my great memory, I hope I can pull this one off and impress my family!

17. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

Phew, sorry I haven't been back, it's been a busy week. Thank you for all the suggestions, I have looked at some of them on Amazon and will get to the others too before making a decision.
    And thanks for the suggestions which didn't contain rabbits (or hares), as I said my brother's wife is also pregnant and I'm aiming for something different for that nephew.
    I think I'll be very busy on Amazon next week.xx
    [​IMG]

18. Hope I'm not too late! Tell Me Something Happy Before I go to Sleep by Debi Gliori and Joyce Dunbar is an adorable bunny one - and if you can get the gift set with the cuddly rabbit even better!
    The book I buy for ALL new babies is The Big Book of Beautiful Babies by David Ellwand - a board book of black and white photos of babies with a simple rhyming text. My boys loved it, and even though they're now at school it still comes out every so often!

19. I love love love Pumpkin Soup - the illustrations and the level of detail in it are amazing!