1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying and selling author's rights to resources

Discussion in 'TES Authors' Group' started by alexfeakes, Jun 12, 2018.

1. alexfeakes

alexfeakes New commenter

Is there any interest from TES authors in being able to buy or sell their entire rights to a resource (with suitable anti-compete agreements)?

This may enable some authors to bring together collections of similar or complementary resources, or assemble sets of resources (eg teaching and revision resources) which work well together. In return, the selling author would get essentially a lump sum of revenues.

It might attractive for authors who want to 'get out the game' or retire from being active on TES, who do not want the hassle of maintaining a shop.

Thoughts?

2. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

I think you have to be VERY careful with this (although a good idea in principle) as if you have created something yourself you know where every item has come from (copyright wise), every last image. If you are selling someone else's creations, you don't. There are some very dodgy companies (ambulance-chaser-law firms) at the moment targeting resource authors, for such small things as using creative commons without attribution.
    You'd need 100% reassurance that you trusted the person you bought from wasn't going to inadvertently lumber you with future issues.

3. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

I think although the underlying idea may actually have some merit, I can't see this working very well in practice for a number of reasons.

This seems to be an alternative take on the idea of offering 'bundles', which is something Tes do already. So I'm not sure what you could offer as some form of differentiation, to set them apart from existing bundles, in order to encourage people to buy them ?

From whom would these lump sum revenues come ? I can't see Tes being prepared to do all the calculations and 'split the divvy', so presumably it comes down to simply trusting the 'current owner' to pass on the proceeds. Whatever mechanism they chose to use to do that, some sort of costs would be incurred, as no-one is going to pass money from A to B, without some kind of fee.

Asking someone to agree to some sort of 'anti-compete agreement' clause, is one thing. If they are no longer putting up resources, then that's not an issue. But if not, then might they not worry that their own reputation for quality resources (which they may have worked long and hard to secure) could be tarnished by association ? They would, after all have no say in the content or quality of whatever bundle their resources were used in.

There is also the issue of licensing, inasmuch as assorted resources may originally have been made available under different licenses, and I am not sure what implications that would have, in terms of what license the 'new bundle' would need to use ?

You may be right about the hassle involved in maintaining a shop. But the main benefit of having your own shop is probably the degree of control you have, over both quality of content and pricing.