1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying allotment

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Jul 16, 2011.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

I have been googling and found allotments for sale - Hull, south of the river. These are for sale around £6,300 - is this a good investment? I could get half an acre for £12,000 - if I wanted to do lots of driving every weekend.

2. Did you not post that your allotment was causing you loads of stress? Why would you want more?

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

You have to accept that agricultural land varies between £3-600 an acre. That is approximately the size of a football pitch.
    Divide that up into plot size strips say 90ft by 30 ft that gives you 24000sq ft or 15 plots per acre. = £94,000 per acre. and you get alot of plots and a whole lot of cash for the seller.
    Problems.what facitilies do you have or get. ,,power,water sheds land prepared roads,access,etc
    how long do you own it, a sort of 'serfs' strip till you die.and what then.or is it passed down in pertuity.If you sell do you have to sel it to the seller or to theanyone.
    do you have outdight ownership of the land.and what idf another owner wants to sell it.Is there a restrictive covenant ,can you build on it, if you default or fail to cultivate it what happens.
    What is the soil and the sub soil..you should have a chemical analysis on it first a some soils can be laid over land fill for example
    What costs are the legal formalities and will your title be recognised and held in the future...ie wil the council count them as agricultural land or leisure land.believe me it makes a difference in council planning as they have by law to respect allotment land, but not leisure land.and leisure 'gardens' dont count towards their stratgic review.
    As some one involved in the past with allotment giveranace and agruements you need to tread carefully...just rememeber there are many leagal formalities in the way...and above all will you get back your moneys worth for what you pay. £6500 divided by 20 years means it costs you over £325 a year!....and if you sell you may not realise back your money
    If on the other hand it comes with outline building ppermission.... of if you can use it to bury people on such as a cremitorium.

4. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

The company selling these, mostly daawn saath, seem to have thought out all the above - except of course, these sites could be landfill. There is a site north of Keighley that looks like a lovely part of the moors! Windy windy!
    You get a committee running the site, there is water and some have electric, you can I think have a shed and some obviously have a caravan on them from the photos.
    You can sell them on because they are freehold.
    My allotment is not giving me stress, just the hobo in the polytunnel. Andyesterday was lonely and I felt jumpy. It is not the safest area for a woman alone, even armed with a fearsome chillington hoe.
    You can't get allotments around here for love or money which is why I already travel to dig.

5. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

It sounds expensive to me.
    -- I am a fan of the chillington azada