1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a piano

Discussion in 'Music' started by oliverferret, Feb 16, 2011.

1. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

I am not a musician but have up to £3000 to spend on piano for my children. We used to have a yahama digital piano but it was written off when our house was flooded; my son has requested an acoustic piano this time round. I have been looking at Yamaha U3 but they are all from 1980s in my price range - is this old for a piano? I'd be grateful for any buying tips. Thanks

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Don't know where you live, but when I bought my piano - about 10 years ago now - I was able to buy a Yamaha U1 brand new from J Reid for the same price as second-hand ones more locally. Please look here:
    http://jreidpianos.co.uk/blog/
    There are on Tottenham Court Road, London

3. v12

v12

As someone who seems to earn most of his salary from playing the piano, I never thought I'd say this, but I'm a definite convert for the digital pianos - especially when space is restricted such as in a small cottage like ours. Of course, for the concert hall or recording studio, the presence and power of a good quality piano is essential.
    For £3000 you might get a reasonable upright of dubious make, but you would still need to pay to have it tuned two or three times a year - and, of course, the modern digital pianos offer many 'useful' facilities such as recording, volume adjustment, a variety of temperaments, different keyboard voicings and so forth.
    My Roland HP-3e is every bit as good as a piano in its present location - and was considerably cheaper than £3000.

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

Digital pianos have lots of functions but I've still not heard one that sounded or felt anything like a real piano. They're all right as a stop gap if you can't have a real one but I'd rather have a ropey real piano than anything electric. You can get a lovely piano for £3000. I would suggest taking your time though, and get a feel for what you like. The market for second hand pianos is quite depressed so they're cheaper than you might think, probably because new ones are coming in at such a good price.

5. QFE

QFE New commenter

I agree with v12. Electrics are really good these days. I play regularly on a Bechstein concert grand (recon) and frankly, there is very little between it and the best electrics in terms of sound and key action. The only thing you loose on an electric is the resonation of the redundant strings when you use the sustain pedal. Sometimes I think it's like eating, if it looks good it is good - not true.
    The only acustic piano I would contemplate giving house room would be a Bosendorfer.... If you need to ask the proce, you can't afford one. Played one on two occasions. Frankly, it was better than sex.

6. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

I played a Besendorfer about 34 years ago, can still remember every detail. Better than sex? No.

7. v12

v12

In many ways, a woman is a bit like a piano.....[...oh no - I feel a joke coming on!...]

When she's not upright, she's grand!

[reader's voice: "Groan"]

8. I have a U1 piano and it is really great, although if I had the budget that you have, I definitely would have gone for a U3.
    Mine is from the early 1970s, it has been fully reconditioned and is in amazing condition, it looked like new when I bought it secondhand for about £2000.
    If you want any tips on where to buy, I can send you a couple of links to Yamaha dealers.
    Acoustic definitely much better than digital in my experience as an owner of both types of piano.

9. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

Thanks for the replies

This is what my son says so I think I'll keep looking for an acoustic piano as he is the one who is going to play it.

10. Being a bit of an Austin Powers character here: As one who is familiar with digital pianos I'd agree with your son; the digital ones are very good these days and are immensely practical and versatile. Roland's V Piano is exceptionally good I find. That said the touch and sympathetic resonance found in an acoustic piano is quite unique. Steinways, Blutheners, Bechsteins and Bosendorfer Imperial grands aside ( I wish!) You might want to consider a Petfrof. They are very good and offer great value. Also, to get an idea of prices, have a look on E Bay.