1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a new Laptop

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Cosmic_Rainbow, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Cosmic_Rainbow

Cosmic_Rainbow New commenter

I am planning on getting a laptop for September but i really dnt know anything about computers. If anyone had any advice it would be much appreciated. I have a budget of £500-600

2. Cosmic_Rainbow

I am planning on getting a laptop for September but i really dnt know anything about computers. If anyone had any advice it would be much appreciated. I have a budget of £500-600

3. Hello!

I went into PC world, as I was in the same situation as me. I just asked one of the people working what I was looking to use it for and they advised on which would be best for me. I let them know my budget so they didn't just tell me the £900 laptop was best! ( as they naturally do). Once they had recommended a few, I went onlline read some reviews about them and just picked one! ( I bought it from Tesco though - as it was cheaper, it does pay to look around!)

Oh and I came away with a Dell Inspiron! ( Its been brilliant)

Claire

4. Cosmic_Rainbow

I did try PC World but it wasnt very successful. I told the guy i idnt really know much about laptops and he ended up showing me 3 differnt pink laptops!! i was like im not to bothered what it looks like i just want it to suit its purpose, hehe

5. You seem to have a pretty big budget!
    I've just got myself a lovely little second hand Asus EEE PC for just over £100 (A gumtree bargain!). It's really light weight and easy to carry about.
    What are you looking for? Portability, memory, processing power, battery life?
    Also, I'd avoid PC World. They prey on the tecnologically inept and milk them for all they are worth, while also managing to employ obnoxiouly ignorant staff. (Bad experiences involving my poor mum [​IMG])

6. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

7. With £500-£600 you have a lot of options! What you get really depends on what you're going to be using it for.
    Things to think about:
    1) Size. "standard" laptops have a 15" screen, but if you're carrying it around a lot you might want a slightly smaller one, or even a netbook
    2) Processor. A dual core processor will probably do fine (Intel Core 2 duo/ Intel I3 / AMD Athlon X2 / AMD Phenom X2) If you think you might need to do some video editing or graphics work, you might want to think about getting a quad core (Intel I5 / AMD Phenom X4)
    3) Memory. More memory means you can run more programs at the same time, and multitasking is the friend of the teacher! I would strongly recommend 4GB of RAM - a lot of laptops come with this at reasonable prices nowadays.
    4) Battery life. My second placement school rarely had places for me to plug my laptop in, so a big battery was very handy
    5) Graphics. Most laptops have 'on board graphics' which means it uses the memory for graphics. This is fine for most things, especially if you have lots of memory already, but if you want to play any games or do some serious video / graphics work then you might want to consider a laptop with a graphics card.
    Last time I was in PC world I saw this in the offers section
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-g6-1013sa-4gb-quad-core-laptop-sonoma-red-09797971-pdt.html
    On
    paper, it's got a lot going for it. It's also 100-200 quid cheaper, which gives you some cash to buy some accessories or fun things for yourself.
    I'm going to crawl back into my geek hole now...

8. Oh, also:

http://www.software4students.co.uk/Microsoft_Office_2010_Professional_Plus-details.aspx

If you have a university email (or possibly a school email) this is a good idea

9. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I'd say get a netbook and save your cash. I have a Samsung NC10 thats been great, sure the newer models will be even better. I'd STRONGLY say AVOID DELL. I had 3 replacement laptops and they were all faulty, never again would I go near them...
    If you do go with a full laptop I'd say try and get an i5 processor and quite a bit of memory (4GB ish) so you can get tasks done quickly. Don't forget to get a backup drive and sync it regularly! x

10. I can only echo the "avoid Dell" sentiment. Their computers are built to collapse just out of warranty, and frequently do so long before hand. Their customer service is a pile of the proverbial. I currently have a uni sitting in my hallway that was meant to be collected for refund two days ago.
    My replacement is this beauty: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004TQQH3U
    A Lenovo B570. It's gorgeous, and performs like a dream so far.

11. *too slow to edit*
    It does seem to have mysteriously inflated in price by about £30 since Sunday, though...

12. I got my HP laptop last year from Ebuyer.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/
    Generally you get a lot more for you money online. I had a look around to see what I was after and then went here to get it.
    Quick delivery as well [​IMG]

13. littlemissraw

HP give Education discount...

14. Hello! My first post!
    Which Dell laptop did you have?

I heard Latitude is pretty good....

15. Do they......Missed out on that oops.

16. I've got a Dell laptop. Had it for four years since before I started Uni and in that time it's seen me through about five house moves, every single Uni assignment, constant use, being on for hours at a time, being left running on my bed without ever overheating, numerous virus and spyware issues (of my own doing) and being dropped and knocked around whilst running quite frequently. The only real problem with it is that Dell install so much **** on their laptops that they can run slowly if you don't reformat them. Just giving the other side to the Dell hating.

17. littlemissraw

My rubbish DELL was a Studio? Model. I bought it as the reviews on the site were good. If you really have to buy a DELL (and I'd still really say don't) then get it from a physical shop so you can go in with any problems.
    Samsung were great for customer service. Also have a desktop PC custom built from scan which is great too x

18. Apparently there's a huge difference between Dell's business laptops and the personal home ones...is this true?
    The business ones are supposed to be excellent - yes Latitude for example...

19. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I'd echo other's sentiments to never buy direct from DELL. They tried to take payment nine times (yes, nine!)... which was just the start of a very long and sorry saga.
    I got it from Tesco. We have a DELL desktop too with no problems.

20. Where can I find out about this? I could locate it on US site but not on UK site.