1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a new house with a troublesome seller!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vampyria, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

This actually happened us once. The people we were buying from couldn't move into their new house because the owners kept stalling. Originally we'd planned to complete just before half-term but the other party kept coming up with 'excuses' - transpired in the end it was a divorcing couple and the wife didn't want to move out of the marital home-really held things up though!
    Agree that anyone who really *wants* to sell will pull out all the stops to facilitate a sale!

2. Thank you all for your replies. This was unfortunately what I feared. I will speak to the estate agent and try to get some more information. I have made an effort today to widen my search area and will not give up looking in the meantime. Thanks for the advice. [​IMG]

3. We were once told that we couldn't view a house because it was coming up to Christmas and "we might not like it and then we wouldn't buy it". Our reply was "well, we won't buy it if we can't look round".

We gave up, and bought another house.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Come and buy my house, it's lovely and we aren't splitting up yet!!

5. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We had two attempts at selling last year in the autumn and following spring. All the estate agents we contacted would expect to do the viewings themselves (that's part of what they're paid for) and should familiarise themselveswith the house, so they can show it to best advantage.
    Looks in this case as though the seller doesn't want to go and you should definitely check with the gaent. What is he doing to earn his money?
    Donkeys years ago we moved into a house where the couple had spkit. He had moved out some weeks previusly, leaving some of his stuff and taking things like wall lights in the hall, with bare wires dangling. The kids were 3 and 1 at the time. She moved out on moving day, but used a transit van and didn't start until 3pm. Our furniture was on the lawn for ages whilst she wne to and fro with her van. The OH had to help in the end. Then we discovered that an extension they'd put up didn't have planning permission and was unsafe. The equivalent of the homebuyer's report at the time hadn't picked that up.

6. Update: we viewed the house eventually, after much stalling, only to find they had had an aptly timed party the night before! Cans all over the house and no attempt at tidying made. Divorced couple, as posters guessed,
    and the wife didn't want to sell. Thanks for your advice, not touching it with a barge pole!

7. Out of all the 'sellers' in the housing market at any one time, I wonder how many actually want to sell, as expidiciously as possible, and move out. Whether the economic climate favours the buyer or the seller, the latter, many of the latter seem to have complicated agendas, the most annoying of whom are those who just want to see what they could, if they were to sell, and wasting aother peoples' time and, more importantly, money in the process.

8. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We have a lovely lady in our village who has her house on the market, or at least her toerag of a son has. Her husband died intestate or actually willed the son the house, not sure which. Anyway the son owns part of the house and is insisting she sells. She initially put it on at a high price and is refusing to budge as she will be left homeless and without enough money to buy another house. It has now been on the market nearly 5 years. It has since come down to a reasonable price, but everyone in the area knows and sympathises with her situation and noone will touch it with a barge pole. I can imagine divorcing couples being in the same situation, particularly in high price areas. I know of at least 2 divorced women in our village who have only been able to afford an excouncil house in a dodgy area.

9. We are 6 months into a purchase of our first house, no chain on either end and vendor as keen to complete as us but no end in sight - £&@!ing solicitors. Dread to think how much worse it would be with a contested house!

10. Six months to buy a house and both parties not in a chain! I would be contacting my solicitors and mortgage lenders pronto.