1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

buying a house- all online or do you like shops?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tod sal, Sep 15, 2012.

1. I want to sell my house and buy a new one- but can't decided who to choose to sell it. There is only 1 proper estate agent in my small town and I'm not keen on them. Some have window space ( such as in the tourist information,) so I was wondering this-
    When looking for a house do you look online or do you look in estate agents' windows and feel you need to go in and ask what they have? I found the one I want on line but wondered if folks still like the person-to-person touch. Thanks

2. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

Both, but mainly online
    When we decided to move I went into each local estate agent to let them know what we were looking for, see what they had and to leave our contact info. Haven't been back to any since but instead keep an eye on rightmove and then phone the agents for any we wanted to view.

3. Online. Although the person who bought my old house just saw the sign when walking past and knocked on the door!

4. I used Express Agency to sell my flat in Wales. It was only listed online. It sold in six weeks and settled within three months from the date it was listed. It was a fair price, but I was in a hurry, so I was prepared to accept a slightly lower amount than I should have been offered. But, there were lots of factors attached so everyone was happy.... I would recommend them.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Express Agency are sharks. My poor Mum got tied up with them and they just want to sell as cheap as possible, they'll drop the price without telling you and are just hard sell and in for a quick buck. Ask any reputable estate agency what they think of them. They also never accompany a viewing, which I think is important if the agent is to do their job properly, and for the safety and security of the vendor. I suspect you were lucky tafawke, there's no way I'd recommendthem.
    Virtually all estate agencies advertise on on-line sites like Prime Location and Right Move. You don't need to do anything special to go on-line. My advice would be to go with a local estate agency so your property is in their branch office, then they will also put it on-line. Job done!

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I looked online but have found high street agents useful for getting deals settled, keeping things moving, dealing with difficult situations, persuading people to look even if they didn't think they would like it etc. They're not all great but the personal touch can be really useful.

7. Thanks all- yes, remember nice to go in to talk once the sale is proceeding. Sometimes I over-think things, so another glass of wine then I'll choose which one good and proper and get this thing moving