1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a car

Discussion in 'Personal' started by mmmmmaths, Oct 26, 2011.

1. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Eventually found some car insurance for mmmmmmmm juniour but now need to find a car. Used a car from auto trader to get quotes etc. but now have to put hand in pocket!
    I hate buying cars! I always feel I am being ripped off. My own last few cars have been from new so no problems with the condition etc. but I just can't negotiate.
    So now I have two problems 1) negotiating but more importantly 2) will the £500 to £800 car be a money pit?
    I have found a suitably priced car with low mileage for its age and MOT till the middle of September 2012. So my question is does this mean that as it has recently passed its MOT there will be no nasty suprises waiting for me - I know nothing about cars.
    Any advice?

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

No.
    The MOT test is (in the main) a safety test. Because it has passed it doesn't mean it won't break down or need a new clutch, etc.

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Cars in that price range are an absolute lottery - there is absolutely no way of knowing if it is a lemon or not without a full examination by someone with a clue

As has been said, an MOT'd car will be safe but not necessarily reliable

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I wouldn't even go that far. It met the necessary standards on the day of the test.

5. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Thanks.
    As most teachers do at half term my own car is actually in at the moment for its MOT. So following your comments I had a chat to my garage who mentioned that the 'advisory' list now forms part of the new style MOT so can't just be thrown away. I think this will help to identify potential safety issues but obviously won't tell me for example if the gear box will need replacing after a couple of months.
    Unfortunately, my only technical friend is away for a few months otherwise I would have just asked him to find me a car!
    Anything else I need to consider?

6. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Does the condition of the interior correspond with the miles on the clock? Is there any service history/old MOT certs? Have the tyres got mileage left in them? Does it drip oil or other fluid? Does it drive ok? Check clutch by getting up to 30mph put in top gear, then push accelerator rapidly all the way to the floor. If the engine note rises, then fall as it increases speed the clutch is knackered. Dip the oil, is it black like treacle, does it show on the stick?
    There are many more checkss you can do

7. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

Thanks Jacob