1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Buying a bike.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, May 24, 2011.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm having a bike for my birthday ( bought last bike when i was 11 and passed the 11+) I'll be wanting to use it for canal tow paths/ cycle trail type of cycling so any suggestions gratefully received. After a quick trip round Decathlon, Halfords and Evans this pm I think I want disc brakes, lever gears, probably a hybrid type rather than a mountain bike but I'm really only guessing, and I'm prepared to pay up to £300 - it is a big birthday after all.

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm having a bike for my birthday ( bought last bike when i was 11 and passed the 11+) I'll be wanting to use it for canal tow paths/ cycle trail type of cycling so any suggestions gratefully received. After a quick trip round Decathlon, Halfords and Evans this pm I think I want disc brakes, lever gears, probably a hybrid type rather than a mountain bike but I'm really only guessing, and I'm prepared to pay up to £300 - it is a big birthday after all.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Get one with an engine. Pedalling is for sweaty self-congratulatory masochists with less road sense than the avaerage hedgehog..

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

You can have my bike for £200 if you want.

Only joking.

Whatever you get, make sure it's the right frame size and treat yourself to a gel saddle - prevents numbumitis ;-)

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'd love one of those pedelecs but they are a touch pricey.

6. scilab

scilab New commenter

I got a new bike about 18 months ago - a hybrid town bike, Dawes discovery 101 and I love it. It hasn't got disc brakes, but has suspension seat post (not crucial, but nice) , trigger gear levers (think they're called trigger, something like that!), thin tyres rather than chunky mountain bike ones, and it is just great. I use it lots on tow paths, cycle tracks, and some road cycling, and I really enjoy it - it feels very easy to ride. Whereabouts are you in the country? I'm in East Anglia - flat land, so cycling is easy and bike shops are plentiful, so there was a huge choice of makes and types of bike to choose from.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

EAST ANGLIA! I'm on the edge of the Peak District - I can hear you laughing from here!! I'm relying on footpaths along disused railway lines and canal towpaths and we'll probably get a rack for the car and head for some flat places. Where did you get yours , it sounds just what I want - does it have a name.

8. scilab

scilab New commenter

[​IMG] I don't do hills....My bike is a Dawes make - the name of the bike model is Discovery 101.
    I got mine from a bike shop in Cambridge - too many shops to choose from really!
    I was very tempted by a Giant bike -Giant in name, not size - or a Marin, but they are a bit more expensive, and over what I wanted to pay. I had a similar budget to you.
    Hope you find something

9. scilab

scilab New commenter

10. the apprentice

the apprentice New commenter

Mine is a Trek and it's been fantastic...light weight alloy...but not disc brakes.Great for on/off road.
    Although l have just bought a new Cube mountain bike, but that was double your price range!!!Tha'ts for lots of off roading, Dalby,Grizdale etc.
    Evans cycles have a good range and if you get to one of their shops the guys are very helpful.

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

That looks spot on and a good price too. I want to buy mine from a shop though. I do like to feel the merchandise. Dawes is a classic bike make I think, I'd really like that - I'm such a snob - really didn't like the Decathlon brand at all although the Halfords one looked a bit classier, (did I really say that?)

12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Do you know, the Evans guy couldn't get away fast enough while the Halfords and Decathlon staff were well informed and pleasant.

13. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I think you should pootle up to a couple of the local cycle hire places, fairholmes and tissington/hartington, chat to the people and try a few out. Hire a couple of different sizes, styles, see what you think. Enjoy the buying of the bike.
    PS £300 is not a lot for a bike. I would buy secondhand if that was my budget.

14. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I got my bike from Leisurelakes in Bury (http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com) and I would definitely recommend them - they were really helpful and I seem to remember them doing a free bike check-up about 6 months after I'd bought the bike. I'd advise going for one where you can lock out the suspension so that you can have it firmer for canal towpaths but a bit bouncier if you decide to give the hillier bits of the Peaks a go. Good luck.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Hadn't thought of that, although I agree £300 is still "entry level" . I'm not good at 2nd hand though.

16. lurk_much

The Matlock shop is supposed to be good, I met a chap that works there recently, an enthusiast, the Buxton one is poor, his focus is online sales and his staff need a good boot up the bottom.

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Leisurelakes looks interesting - thanks!

18. lurk_much

You could also try both aluminium and cro-mo at the cycle hire places. I think they feel quite different.

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Which is lighter?