1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Butternut squash

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by kittylion, Aug 22, 2015.

1. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I have eaten this before but not prepared it myself until now. I made a lovely soup - went down well with everyone - but the wrestling I had to do beforehand (with the squash that is).

Is there some special trick or tactic I should use? It was incredibly hard to cut up.

JU3fromLeics likes this.
  2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I just use my biggest knife and go into battle! I quite enjoy the challenge. You can roast it with the skin on and then peel it off afterwards to avoid doing that step.

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

If in a hurry, you can (as I sometimes do) buy it pre-prepared but it is more expensive. As BS says, you really just need to confront it and enjoy it! I don't peel it, especially if roasting it - I love the chewy skin.

4. kittylion

Thanks to you both. I felt I couldn't leave the skin on as it was for a soup. It was a bit of a wrestle - even with my new(ish) knives. I wondered if you could buy it frozen, but I couldn't see it - and the pre-prepared one is, as you say, expensive and mixed with other veg.

Can you make soup with roasted bns?

5. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I aways use it roasted in soup. It makes the flavour sweeter.

6. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I peel it with a potato peeler, then take a cleaver to it. It's by far the best way to chop it up, although a large and very sharp knife does the job as well.

7. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

We have decided that it's not necessary to peel it. The skin is like paper when cooked. I usually cut it in half . Roast the halves and scoop the seeds out when cooked.

8. kittylion

Thanks everyone - perhaps will try roasting it next time then. (Haven't got a cleaver - perhaps just as well knowing me.)

9. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

You just cut it in half and scoop out the seeds, drizzle with oil and a little salt: roast till tender and then you can just scoop it out leaving the skin behind. My daughter had a friend in Germany who used to just boil the whole thing, but I can assure you it tastes better for the roasting flavour, and so much easier to handle.

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I take the seeds out and plant them!

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The skin is lovely when roasted but if you do want to peel it for a stew or soup, as rosaespanola says, a vegetable peeler will do the job - about the only squash you can peel with a veg peeler!

I

12. kittylion

Sorry to keep coming back late to this - am not used to having stuff on Cookery!

I am afraid that, despite all your good advice, I am going to give up on butternut squashes. It's not the peeling, it's the cutting - I simply couldn't get my largest knife through it - no question of being able to cut it in half - and had to hack bits off it. Then ended up with orange gunk all over my clean top and seeds all over the floor - grrr!

I presume you can't roast it without cutting it, so when I have used up the last one, that's IT!

What are sweet potatoes like for cutting and peeling? Do they make a good soup?

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

They are hard to cut. I find it easiest to chop the thinner top off first and then it's easier to halve the base.

Sweet potatoes are easy to peel and chop. They make a good soup and also a stunning curry. The are also wonderful baked in their jackets.

14. kittylion

Thanks Nick - in fact that's what I did, cut the thinner part off first. Someone was having soup the other day with sweet potatoes, peppers and something else - will have to google it.

Eldest son has just offered to hack the next bn squash to bits for me - I wonder what state the kitchen would be in though? :)

15. JU3fromLeics

JU3fromLeics Occasional commenter

Squashes can be a bit difficult to cut through !
    Some have tougher skins than others and they somehow tend to be more difficult to cut into after a few months.
    Best to be careful...

16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I grow many different squash but don't bother with Butternut as it's a lot of faffing about for not all that much.

Others such as kabocha types, blue kuris, queensland blues, buttercups, and many others have a similarly or even more dense orange flesh that is just divine when roasted and turned into soup, or roasted with herbs and eaten on its own or as a veg

If you grow, they're well worth a try. I have over 40 squash waiting for the winter!